Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pinhole leak - Pac Fab Challenger

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Pinhole leak - Pac Fab Challenger

age is catching up with my pump. It has developed a pinhole leak in the impeller housing. I'm going to try to squeeze another season out of it, any recommendations on what to patch it with (JB weld, epoxy, etc.).

If not I'll just order a new housing @ roughly $100.

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Pinhole leak - Pac Fab Challenger

I would try an epoxy (jbweld or any other 2 part epoxy) but see if you can get it on the INSIDE.

If it is a hairline crack, I would cut a v-shaped wedge on the inside of the crack so the epoxy can get a good "grip" and have some depth.

If you are feeling particularly handy, drill a hole large enough to drill out the crack, then epoxy a piece of plastic on the outside of the resultant drilled hole with plenty of overlap. Give that 24 hours to cure and then go inside the housing and fill the hole with epoxy.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School