Above Ground Landscaping - Help Me

tschutz1

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2013
I'm a little confused on what to do around my above ground pool. I have a 24' AGP with a deck on about 1/4 of it.

I'm looking for a pretty simple solution. After we had it installed in late July last year, we didn't have the funds or the time really to do anything to make it looked "finished". I would prefer not to plant anything around the pool for now. One less thing to trim/rake/maintain.

I am thinking of just leveling off around 2' around the pool, making a small curve around the pump/filter and connecting it to the base of the deck on both ends. Filling it with some sort of river rock/smoothed stone.

http://ecoborder.3dcartstores.com/EcoBorder-L-Pack-of-6-749-per-pc-All-Hardware-Included_p_13.html
Thinking of just using this product, which seems easy to work with and has good reviews at Home Depot. You are supposed to just install it right on the ground. I checked it out at the store, and it appears to be 2.5-3" in height. So I'm thinking of making my border with this material, tearing out whatever grass/weeds is inside the border, spraying it all with a weed/grass killer, covering with landscape fabric, and then filling it with stone.

Please tell me if this is a dumb idea.

Sounds like a good idea.

I didn't want to have to deal with any grass or plants inside the fenced-in area around our in ground pool. Last summer my wife and I put down landscape fabric and then put river rock on top in every area inside the fence that wasn't pool or concrete patio. We wound up putting down 20 cubic yards of river rock. From what the supplier of the river rock said, each cubic yard is a little over a ton. All I know is that it was a LOT of rock. :|

border.jpg

Got started. Looking pretty good. I really like this border product. This was step one, but I've also torn out all the grass between the border and the pool here, sprayed a weed and grass killer, and installed a weed barrier. Now it just needs rocks.

Not too shabby....got about a third of the rocks in. I'm really pleased. Other than my time, this project was not as bad as I thought it would be. Just some good ol' manual labor to get it done.

I will reiterate that the landscape border I chose - EcoBorder - is a fantastic product. Sooooo easy to install even my wife could have done it. To go three quarters of the way around my 24' pool was about $225. And I have some left over. But well worth it for the ease of installation.

Border Finished.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.