Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above Ground Landscaping - Help Me

1. Back To Top    #1

Above Ground Landscaping - Help Me

I'm a little confused on what to do around my above ground pool. I have a 24' AGP with a deck on about 1/4 of it.

I'm looking for a pretty simple solution. After we had it installed in late July last year, we didn't have the funds or the time really to do anything to make it looked "finished". I would prefer not to plant anything around the pool for now. One less thing to trim/rake/maintain.

I am thinking of just leveling off around 2' around the pool, making a small curve around the pump/filter and connecting it to the base of the deck on both ends. Filling it with some sort of river rock/smoothed stone.

http://ecoborder.3dcartstores.com/Ec...uded_p_13.html
    Thinking of just using this product, which seems easy to work with and has good reviews at Home Depot. You are supposed to just install it right on the ground. I checked it out at the store, and it appears to be 2.5-3" in height. So I'm thinking of making my border with this material, tearing out whatever grass/weeds is inside the border, spraying it all with a weed/grass killer, covering with landscape fabric, and then filling it with stone.

Please tell me if this is a dumb idea.
    24 ft. above ground pool, 13,500 gallons, installed summer 2013
    Cartridge Filter, Hayward 1.5 HP Power-Flo LX pump
    Main drain
    5 happy swimming children
    NW Indiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Above Ground Landscaping - Help Me

That sounds like a great plan.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like a good idea.

I didn't want to have to deal with any grass or plants inside the fenced-in area around our in ground pool. Last summer my wife and I put down landscape fabric and then put river rock on top in every area inside the fence that wasn't pool or concrete patio. We wound up putting down 20 cubic yards of river rock. From what the supplier of the river rock said, each cubic yard is a little over a ton. All I know is that it was a LOT of rock.
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

20 yards of stone? Holy cow. That sounds backbreaking.

I was hoping it would take about a yard or yard and a half of rocks tops.
    Main drain
    NW Indiana

5. Back To Top    #5

border.jpg

Got started. Looking pretty good. I really like this border product. This was step one, but I've also torn out all the grass between the border and the pool here, sprayed a weed and grass killer, and installed a weed barrier. Now it just needs rocks.
    Main drain
    NW Indiana

6. Back To Top    #6

No float cypress mulch is a lot lighter than river rock! I like that border too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Wife has nixed the mulch option.....she wants rock, therefore there will be rock.
    Main drain
    NW Indiana

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tschutz1 View Post
    Wife has nixed the mulch option.....she wants rock, therefore there will be rock.
    Wise man
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Not too shabby....got about a third of the rocks in. I'm really pleased. Other than my time, this project was not as bad as I thought it would be. Just some good ol' manual labor to get it done.

I will reiterate that the landscape border I chose - EcoBorder - is a fantastic product. Sooooo easy to install even my wife could have done it. To go three quarters of the way around my 24' pool was about $225. And I have some left over. But well worth it for the ease of installation.

Border Finished.jpg
    Main drain
    NW Indiana