New Build in New Brunswick, Canada

After being delayed 2 and a half weeks because of our extra long winter and extra wet spring up here, we are FINALLY ready to start our much anticipated build! Site all marked out today, excavation starts Thursday morning. Garage has been PACKED full of supplies and equipment for over a month now...

- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

• P1070416.jpg
    P1070416.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 216
  • P1070418.jpg
    P1070418.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 216
Or donate to post more! ?. For me the advice I've received here has been worth, literally, thousands all things considered. So donating at the Platinum level was a no-brainer for me. That and supporting the owner by buying the best test kit and refills available (which i see you've already done -great choice). My TF-100 is the key to our pool's continued sparkliness.

I'm looking forward to your build. Here's to good summer weather for building...and swimming!

As a note, our pool is roughly the same size, and I can say that one ColorLogic LED will be VERY marginal to light your pool. Read, you'll probably wish you got two. If you can swing a second light facing away from the viewing area, it would be a good investment.

Or donate to post more! ��. For me the advice I've received here has been worth, literally, thousands all things considered. So donating at the Platinum level was a no-brainer for me. That and supporting the owner by buying the best test kit and refills available (which i see you've already done -great choice). My TF-100 is the key to our pool's continued sparkliness.

I'm looking forward to your build. Here's to good summer weather for building...and swimming!

As a note, our pool is roughly the same size, and I can say that one ColorLogic LED will be VERY marginal to light your pool. Read, you'll probably wish you got two. If you can swing a second light facing away from the viewing area, it would be a good investment.

I agree the advice here is PRICELESS! Very happy to be a member!... I appreciate the feedback on the light, but we are going to stick with 1. Originally I wasn't going to do any... so I guess something is better than nothing...lol. (It IS a HUGE light though...I figured it would do a decent job...)

One will definitely be brighter than none! You will love the color changing and will settle into that amount of light. No worries. The budget has to take over at some point.

Okay...Day 1 Complete! Excavation finished, wall panels all stood in place and 2 bolts in each seam. Large excavator most of the day, 2 dump trucks (for half the day), myself and one other guy measuring, marking, guiding excavator and standing walls! It's beginning to look like a pool!!!!

Day 2 Update. Doesn't look like much progress, but was actually a lot of work! All wall panels bolted together (6 more bolts in each seam). All braces on every seam installed and staked with rebar. Whole pool shimmed, leveled and plumb. Light niche installed, steps drilled and installed, pad for pool shed and heat pump prepped and forms built and squared, ready for concrete. Hand work done to begin shaping hopper as well as trench for main drain lines dug under wall. Day 3 will be concrete pouring...pouring the hopper, footing, and slabs for the shed and heat pump! Doesn't seem like much...but this is a "do it yourself" job with only 2-3 guys working...

Update for DAY 3 (Actually day 3 and 4 together...but they were both half days). Many hours of hand work with pickaxe and shovel to finish shaping the hopper (NOT a fun job!), main drains in and plumbed, skimmer and returns in, walls and light grounded, pads for slabs raised and levelled with crushed rock, hopper forms set for concrete... today we poured the hopper, footing around pool and the 2 slabs (shed and heat pump). Hopper and small slab hand trowelled, shed slab screened and broomed. Here's some pics of our progress...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok...I'm ready for some updates.
I'll apologize for being long winded, but this is kind of a "pool build diary" for me to try and remember all the hard work that is going into this project!
I've kind of lost track of the days but I'll post some of the progress and try to keep it in order!
I spent 2 and a half days basically doing nothing but shaping walls and slope. Some of the hardest work I've ever done, with only one other guy helping...sometimes 2...swinging a pick axe all day, then shovelling wet dirt, mud and rocks into 5 gallon buckets and carrying 2 at a time out of the 8 foot deep hopper, over the walls, and out to be dumped. (this is where it was so much extra work for the kidney shape). But in the end, we got where we wanted and were ready for mortar for the floors, slope and deep end walls. (Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics of that hard day).

I backfilled the walls with clean sand, and I ran a tamper back and forth like crazy every foot we filled...(I do NOT want issues with my concrete because of settling), then I used crushed rock for the top 6" layer and tamped, and tamped, and tamped!
We had some very heavy rains at this point and things were on hold. The hopper had to be pumped out numerous times and we had to wait until things dried up good before doing the mortar floor, slope and walls.
It ended up being much warmer than expected the day of the pour...so the concrete (mortar) was setting up VERY fast...and caused alot more rough edges than anticipated... So I spent another whole day with a concrete stone and a grinder, smoothing out every single rough edge, bump, ect...
Then taped all the wall seams, added wall foam for a smooth finish, put the gaskets for light niche, skimmer, and drains, and installed the liner (which wasn't easy since it was not marked clearly at all).
It was a great feeling to turn on the hose and start adding water to the liner for the first time!...

we added about a foot, then screwed on the covers for the main drains (not a good feeling piercing that brand new liner! but it went smoothly).
Next day we had alot of rain, and somehow had some ground water seep in under the liner in the hopper, so I had to unhook part of the liner and crawl down underneath with a pump and shop vac to clean it up.
Once that was cleaned up, we clipped the liner back in, started the shop vac to suck out the air, and started putting water to it.
It's now filled almost to the break point but I'm waiting till tomorrow because it was cold and cloudy today and I'm looking for the sun to soften up the liner and help me smooth out the last couple wrinkles in the shallow end before the water hits there.
My concrete guys came to finish up the prep and put in the forms for my concrete walkway/patio. The forms look exactly like I designed and we can't wait for them to pour and stamp/color on Monday or Tuesday!
Siding for the shed was on back order and should be here Monday, meanwhile my electrician should be able to wire up my equipment this weekend.
Once the concrete is poured, my fence is going up and all I have left is a small bit of landscaping around the fence!
What a huge undertaking this has been...but it's well worth the effort to have such a beautiful pool in our back yard!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.