My local pool stores are useless. Can you guys help?

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
First off, let me say I was about to buy a cheap round pool with a small pump and filter from a local pool guy. I started researching and found this site and man did it open my eyes.

I'm looking at getting either a 24 or 28 foot round Doughboy pool. I think i've settled on the Hayward 2 speed pump and sand filter. But I dont really know the differences in the Doughboy models.
I see a lot of Autum Breeze pools being installed on this forum. I was wondering what the differences were between that and one like the Tuscany for example?

We will not be having a deep end, especially if we go with the 24'. It might be nice to have, but i wont miss it if I never have it. :p
It will not be buried at all. Just a regular install.
We will be wanting a heater. Not sure if we will get one right up front or not, but it will be a necessity later on. Any particular models for recommendation? We have natural gas.
I don't want the over the side liner. I'd like to have the EZ clip that can just clip in place.

I really need to have a list of things I want when I walk into the local stores and just lay it on the counter and say...."I want this, give me a quote."

Can anybody chime in and give me a clue as to if I'm even on the right track or not???
TF-100 test kit will be a must as well.

Any other questions you need to know, please ask. I'd be more than happy to answer anything if it will make things easier in the long run.

Thanks,
Kris

Welcome to TFP !
I see you've done some homework ! Your already ahead of the curve.
Very good decision on getting the TF-100. One thing I could suggest is getting the SpeedStir also. You won't regret it.
Another good decision on going with a 2 speed pump. A 1 hp 2 speed will be plenty of pump for 24ft pool. I have the same pump.
I really can't make a comment on the dough boy pools other than they get good reviews. Somebody else who has one can help you out better with that.
Take some time to do some reading in pool school. Here are a couple of good articles to start with.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
How To Chlorinate Your Pool
Any questions don't hesitate to ask ?

So, come to find out all the local pool stores near me only sell Wilbar/Aqua Leader pools. I have no idea if they are any good or not. I had my heart set on a Doughboy, but there isnt anybody around local that sells them. I might have to rethink my decision and factor in the Wilbar pools now.

dont know about the tuscany, but we choose the Desert Spring over the Autumn Breeze because we are burying it and it is a much stronger pool. Autumn Breeze is the older model, but it is a good one. it has a 35yr warranty vs Desert Springs lifetime. For oval it was a $1000 difference between the two, round I think was 800 bucks more for DS over AB.

check doughboy website for dealers around you.

Hi Kris,
I dont have any experience with AGP's however one thing about them does come to mind.
Many many folks have replaced the standard Skimmer with an Inwall Skimmer. As well, replaced all of the flexible plumbing with PVC.
Sounds like your pump and filter upgrade is made just right for the skimmer and plumbing mods.

At the top of the page is a search box, if you will search for AGP plumbing or some version of that, Im sure you will get a lot of reading material as well as some eye candy of completed and in progress upgrades.

Also congrats on finding us before it was too late! Read Read Read and Learn Learn Learn

So, come to find out all the local pool stores near me only sell Wilbar/Aqua Leader pools. I have no idea if they are any good or not. I had my heart set on a Doughboy, but there isnt anybody around local that sells them. I might have to rethink my decision and factor in the Wilbar pools now.

If it's any help to ya, I have a Wilbar pool. The model I have Morada, has resin top rail, resin top track, resin bottom track, resin bottom upright plates, steel uprights. So far I'm very pleased with it. ?

I have zero experience owning above-ground pools, but I have to say

This thread is my pick for Best Thread Title of the Year.

I was hoping the title would get some attention. They are literally useless around here. No variety of pools or equipment. Everybody seems to sell only Wilbar. Not that that's a bad thing, but I would like some variety. And the thing is, the prices they are charging for a Wilbar with 20 yr warranty, I can get a Doughboy with a lifetime warranty for just a couple hundred more. Just seems the Doughboy pools are better built, better coatings, and just all and all a nicer pool. Out of the 3 dealers within my area that are supposed to sell Doughboy, none of them do anymore. They all changed to Wilbar. Maybe I need to post this in a different section to get more hits on the types of pool. Time to do some research on Wilbar pools now. I think I know how to take of the pool from reading this site once i get it. Now its just deciding which one to get and what pump/filter and all the accessories.

We are also considering a Doughboy. We've been to two dealers in our area. The first we couldn't even get a firm price quote from, totally useless. The second just today was fantastic. If we go Doughboy we will be buying from this one. A 24' foot round with install was right at $7500, without install was around $5200 if I remember correctly. The first one we went to did the buried pools, todays dealer did not. They had 6 or 7 different levels of pools, the one priced above is their basic model. Meaning it doesn't have the fancier top caps and support detailing or the higher detailed graphics on the side. Something to keep in mind is that ALL pools (except for the ones abled to be buried) have the exact same walls. So by paying more you aren't getting a stronger wall in the regular pools. The increase is strictly cosmetic and warranty. The higher tier the pool the better the warrant. All the way up to the lifetime full warranty.
I didn't get the price on the lifetime one but he said for the difference in price we could easily buy the basic pool and a super nice hot tub and still walk out with cash in our pocket so I assume it's substantial LOL Since we are planning on decking in the pool paying for cosmetic upgrades would be a total waste of money and his suggestion was not to do it (don't you love a pool guy that doesn't try to upsell you). Also on the liners I liked the brick and one other pattern. He said they were the highest priced ones of course, seems to be my taste, but he said even though they are a thicker liner and should last longer, they fade faster than any of the others and they won't be that pretty after a few years. He recommended sticking with the basic blue liner that comes with it or one of the 2 mid range liners, especially the dark blue on white because the blue fades evenly and since the background it white it's less noticeable.
All pool warranties except for the lifetime full are full warranties for a set amount of years (varies by model) and then a slow proration after that. Even on the basic pool it takes 17 years to get down to 50% warranty so again he doesn't see the point in paying for the higher warranties since you get so much from the standard warranty.

Not sure if any of that helped but hopefully there's something you can use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, I was just quoted almost $12,000 for the Tuscany Doughboy pool installed. I had no idea it would be that much. I was budgeting $6000 for the pool and install alone. I found one dealer within a reasonable distance that would travel and install for me. They sell Outback pools. I think we are going to go with the Genesis 54 from Outback. Installed with all the accessories for just under $6000. I found a company installing this exact same pool in Raleigh, NC for just under $4000. Seems like my dealer is making a killing on this, but when its your only option, you don't have much of a choice.

Hi Kris... Have you thought about a DIY install? They really are not that hard if you're handy. I have done at least 4 installs myself over the last 8 years or so, teaching myself everything as I go. It's not for everyone but it's certainly doable.

That's a nice looking pool, we don't have any dealers near us for that brand. We run into the same problem. A lot of the dealers won't come this far for installs or if they do they have a large upcharge fee for the distance. The doughboy dealer is over an hour away but he said they will install anywhere in the state. The other pool dealer we saw yesterday wouldn't come this far at all. We are considering a self install but then we'd have to figure out how to haul the pool here unless we ordered online. We have contractor friends that we can hire to help without spending a fortune and I have a local guy that does amazing dirt work, he dug all our footings and did all the leveling on our house addition last year so a level pool pad should be easy enough for him to do. Can't beat his prices either.
I tinkered with the idea of ordering a fiberglass shell and having him do the digging. But I think that install may be beyond our skill level. We can do most of the work on building or remodeling a house but installing an in ground pool is far scarier, too easy to mess up. Could never afford an inground if it's not a self install though. So guess we'll stick with above ground and hope for an in ground 5 or 10 years down the road.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.