Well water in a pool? Help please.

Jun 5, 2013
Michigan
So...

The pool has been open for a week, crystal clear water and the chemistry was absolutely perfect. I came home today and discovered one of the hoses my hubby hooked up, popped off and was draining the water from the pool (from the heater). The amount drained was about 4-5 inches and the level is below the skimmer. Less than two weeks ago, we had the pool filled when I opened it.

So...we aren't expecting rain here in MI for at least a week and a half and unless I call the guy to come out and deliver 4-6 inches of water, the only other alternative is to use the well water because we aren't expecting rain for quite some time. I suspect the iron content in the well water is pretty high.

Besides calling the guy out for 160 bucks, can I do something specific to the well water to be able to use it in my pool, without having years of headaches and spending more money and having screwed up water? Or...would it be cheaper in the long run to just pay to have the water delivered again vs what needs to be done to use the well water.

Miffed in Michigan.

Ok.....had the pool water tested. 0-Iron. Had the well water tested, 0.01 (am shocked it's so low)

Chlorine level is almost zilch (expected that)....all other readings are in the normal range.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing....I did pick up a bottle of "Metal Free". I haven't used it yet and will wait for your reply... and if you have a different ideal, or think that I am good to go, I will just take it back to the store.

Thanks for your help!

Refill your pool with the well water. If the iron precipitates out, use the sequestrant. If not, take the sequestrant back.

Nice work on getting that testing reassurance so quickly. You should be good to go.

When you get a chance, do a CH test on that well water, too. That's gonna be a good source for you, I think.

You there Dave?

Trouble brewing?

Pool was very cloudy this morning. I added some bleach yesterday and some stabilizer was added a few days back. I back-washed the filter twice today and it is about 35-40% better. My levels are:

FC 6
CC 0
T.A. 120
CH 140
PH 7.5
CYA 40

Before I added the water from the well...it was crystal clear. ...........UPDATE.......back to clear...filter needed to be cleaned. Happy camper!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.