Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taking longer to clear pool than I think it should

1. Back To Top    #1

Taking longer to clear pool than I think it should

I'm currently fighting multiple issues right now. For one I have a leak. I'm losing about 1 to 1.5 inches a day. With that I'm losing CYA, chlorine, etc, etc.

My pool basically was a swamp with tad poles, frogs, the whole nine. After 2 days of shocking all of that was dead. The pool is cloudy and not green but certainly not blue. It is somewhere in between. It almost seems as if after the initial progress all progress stopped. In a week I've gone through approximately 35 128oz jugs and I have seen no improvement. I've tested repeatedly and adjusted to keep my chlorine at shocks levels. Help please.
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taking longer to clear pool than I think it should

Can you post up a full set of test results?
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    Can you post up a full set of test results?
    This morning
    FC 5.5
    CC 1.0
    PH 7.2
    TA 80
    CYA 35

I'm trying to maintain FC at 14 to shock. On days that I work I'm only able to test I'd say 3-4 times. Once when I wake and 2-3 times before I go to bed. Am I not testing enough? Should I open the sand filter to see if there is an algae bloom?
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't worry about the filter, just backwash when the pressure goes up.

A sand filter can take quite a while to clear the water, a week, two weeks, occasionally more, plus you still have CC level indicating that there is still stuff to break down.

One crucial step is to get all of the solid debris out of the water you possibly can, even if that means working blind.

You should see some improvement from day to day, even if small. If you aren't seeing any improvement, then something is going wrong.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Just a flash of inspiration here..... Is there a chance your multiport valve is leaking internally? It will a) not filter worth beans and b) dribble water out the backflush port whenever the pump is running.

If the waste line is hard-plumbed, you wouldn't even see that you're losing water there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. I'll check the backwash port. I saw a slight improvement after the sand was cleaned but now it is raining here and I'm going out of town for 3 days. Looks like I will have lost any progress I've made. :-/

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Don't worry about the filter, just backwash when the pressure goes up.

A sand filter can take quite a while to clear the water, a week, two weeks, occasionally more, plus you still have CC level indicating that there is still stuff to break down.

One crucial step is to get all of the solid debris out of the water you possibly can, even if that means working blind.

You should see some improvement from day to day, even if small. If you aren't seeing any improvement, then something is going wrong.
    Went out of town last week so I couldn't SLAM while I was gone. I put in 2 chlorine tabs (I know but I needed something in when I was gone for 4 days). I can see the liner (not clear) but I can see it in the shallow end. It is slowly progressing. I deep cleaned the filter last week before I went out of town. Perhaps I just need more patience. This weekend makes week 3. :/