Any recommendations for Sand Filters and Sand?

May 27, 2014
Mount Airy, MD
We have an old Jacuzzi sand filter that the handle broke off and the top of the diverter broke. The pin in the handle is rusted.
We also get vary small amounts of sand in the backwash. We can get the parts, but because Jacuzzi is out of business, I just worry about other issues,
and figure it is time for a new filter.

Our current filter is a Jacuzzi st-24 - 24 inch diameter, 60 gpm flowrate, 350 lb of sand. I would like to go to a slightly bigger sand filter, but I don't know if I can fit it in the space on the pad, and I worry if I'll need to change the pump.
The pipe diameter for our system is 1.5". (The St-24 originally came with either 1.5" or 2" fittings, so I guess the 1.5" is what the builder went with. The pool was with the house when we bought it.)

We dropped by a store that recommended the Hayward S244t as a replacement... it has roughly the same specs, so it would work, but uses 300 lb of sand,,, and I really don't want to go with less filtering capability.

Any recommendations for sand filters and sand?

Thanks

The pump is a 3/4 hp Centurion - 3450 rpm. Model 10-187400-20.
I think the previous pump might have been 1 hp, but I'm not sure. It was going when we bought the house, and the Centurion was what the previous owner had already purchased to replace it. (This was 2003)
This pump is still running fine.

I changed our location to Mount Airy, MD... It's in central MD.

Thanks.

I have 2 estimates for the Hayward S244t, and an estimate for the pentair tr-60. They want an additional $529 for the pentair!!! It's not that much more expensive, could it possibly be because of the change in plumbing (side-port vs
top mount?)
Geeze.

Trying to decide if we can tackle this on our own. The estimates for the hayward including removal of Jacuzzi, and installation of the hayward are almost $850 w/out sand from one place, $884 with sand from another.
The one place that did not include the sand, itemized the Hayward for $500 and the rest was labor. I can buy a hayward online for about $300.

There is a third place I called that said they charged $400 for the hayward, with $85/hr for installation if I buy from them, $125/hr installation if I buy it on my own.

How long should it take a professional place to install a sand filter, including changes in plumbing from the Jacuzzi?

Also, I know the configuration of the in/out is different in the Jacuzzi vs Hayward... are the fittings/attachments different? (I am guessing yes, but I thought I'd ask.)

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.