Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adapter B for hose connection

1. Back To Top    #1

Adapter B for hose connection

Has anyone had experience with having to purchase these adaptors after upgrading pump and filter? Pool came with 1 1/4 and I need 1 1/2 connections. Do I just hook them up or do I need to hook them to plunger? My pump didn't come with plungers so all I have is the outlets protruding from pool like two hollow rubber cylinders.
    Intex 15'x4' round AG metal frame pool, 4400 Gallon, Krystal 14" 2150GPH Sand pump/filter .75HP. Taylor 2006 test kit. San Diego, CA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adapter B for hose connection

you will need to replace the rubber pieces on the pool wall with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Fittings...+plunger+valve

Look around, these are the first ones that popped up on a search. There may be some no quite as expensive on Amazon.

The other alternative would be to hard plumb your pool. Many threads here on the forum to guide you through that.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Do I cut off rubber cylinder protrusions sticking out of pool (two outlets). Then do I just push the plungers through the holes? New to all of this>
    Intex 15'x4' round AG metal frame pool, 4400 Gallon, Krystal 14" 2150GPH Sand pump/filter .75HP. Taylor 2006 test kit. San Diego, CA.

4. Back To Top    #4

When you get the new strainer assemblies, you will have to cut the old rubber pieces out. Search around here, there's a few that have posted how they did theirs.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I just did this to my intex pool!

Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for taking the time to post pics. So you basically just used the O ring as a guide and cut inside edge of circle, then pushed B Adapter through? Are you also planning on using plunger valves? Thanks again for the help!!! I'll appreciate as many details as possible. Great photos.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Hi James... No I'm not using the plunger valves.... I did take the nuts off them though, they may come in handy... I've decided to go with 50mm PVC elbows and ball valves with soft pvc hose... I have a rectangle pool and the walls tend to move heaps....

Yes the O ring that came with the new strainers (separately purchased) was what I used as a guide... You have to cut outside the sharpie drawn line, otherwise the fitting will be too snug and cause the liner to catch and cause leaks.....

Hope this helps...

9. Back To Top    #9

I cut mine as well. I use the plunger valves. That way you can turn off the water while changing the filter. I have used these adapters http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121341393751?lpid=82 . I feared cutting the liner. But they would suck air and loose suction. This thread has a lot of info. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-your-Intex
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I have those adapter too... I took one look at them and threw them back into my parts box...

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes they were a waste of time.

2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks. So, Neither of you recommend using the B Adapters? I am waiting for the B adapters and the plunger valves to come in the mail( purchased separately). I was originally under the impression that the only conversion parts needed were the b adapters, then was told I needed the plunger valves also to connect to the b adaptors. I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of the b adapter, looking at pics it looks like one end slides into the rubber casing protruding from pool (1 1/4") and the other side connects to 1 1/2" hose? But what you are both saying is the B adapters are not needed, I can just connect the plunger valves instead (but would have to cut a bigger hole in pool) my pump didn't come with any extra fiitting or adapters, guess the seller was a bit frugal.

13. Back To Top    #13

The b adapters are some sort of compression fitting. You only need them if you are not going to cut the pool. They work the way you described. As long as you are cutting the liner they are not needed.

14. Back To Top    #14

I recommended the larger strainer valves because in my experience and that of others they don't work. You have a constant suction side leak, and the return side tends to blow off.

Sorry I didn't go into these details in my original answer.

You are well ahead if you buy the large strainer assemblies or go to regular pool fittings for hard plumbing.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Charlie is right... The large strainer connections are the way to go... I love mine... I'm going to overkill my pool with 2 inch hoses and connections... I just have to find a pump and cartridge filter I like with 2 inch connections...

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks everyone!!! I successfully cut bigger holes and put in plunger valves. Thanks to this Site I'm finding all the solutions to my challenges. What is the "larger strainer valve"? I installed the plunger valve set recommended in previous reply to this thread. My next challenge is finding a way to vacuum pool. I have 1 1/4 hose and need to attach it to coupling on intake of plunger valve inside pool wall. Looks like the thread is 3.25" on inner (inside liner wall) and just over 4". There are two threaded male ends on plunger valve (inside wall side). It'd be nice if I could screw on some sort of nut that tapered down to 1 1/4" to push vac hose over it.

17. Back To Top    #17

If you still have this --http://www.amazon.com/Surface-Intex-...kimmer+adapter -- from the original set-up, it will fit the smaller threads on the inside of the pool. If your vacuum hose is like mine, it fits inside the adapter, with a fairly tight fit.

18. Back To Top    #18

My vac connects to this guy and then you put it in the skimmer. Then the skimmer is connected to that blue adapter. But the vac hose is smaller then the connection on the adapter.

19. Back To Top    #19

My pool nor pump came with that. Saving money left me searching for answers. Thank you. I'll have to order one.

20. Back To Top    #20

The skimmer itself is nice for the leaves and such. What's good about the thing in my picture is it has a bag to catch debris as well. Before you order a bunch of just make sure you need it.