Cloudy pool

chuard

May 17, 2012
Can my low ph be really cause that much cloudiness in my pool. I have a 33,000gallon inground vinyl lined pool. Readings this am were.
TC 6
CC 0
Ph 7
TA 74
CYA 0

And I'm confused on what to add as to washing siad a or reguar baking soda or borax!? Any help would be great. Thanks

Doubtful that low pH is the cause, with a CYA of 0 your CL isn't lasting long in the pool and you are probably just ahead of an algae bloom. Just curious are the test numbers from your TF 100? That TA number seems awfully precise.

If those are pool store numbers I would retest with your TF 100 and post those numbers.

If you did the test yourself then:
I would get your PH in line ( 37 oz by weight of washing soda or soda ash or 73 oz by weight of borax - calculated using the pool math link in the blue bar above.)

then CYA - shoot for 40 hang it in a sock in front of or in your skimmer.
and follow the slam process. SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

short version:
Ph - wait 30 min ... test
then
CYA and SLAM simultaneously. Don't bother testing anything other than CL while you slam

The TF100 gives TA in increments of 10. Where'd you get 74? :scratch:

And low pH won't cause cloudiness. Higher pH can cause Calcium to precipitate, so that's not your problem.

I see zero CYA as the problem. The sunlight destroys your chlorine before the chlorine can kill the algae. You probably have an algae bloom starting and at the moment you're at a stalemate where the chlorine is killing it off as fast as it reproduces, clouding the water with dead, bleached algae carcasses.

I think it's time for you to SLAM. Start by reading this article, and then move over to the SLAM instructions.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have had 2 socks in the pool with CYA in them since opening. Also I am using pucks in the chlorinator. I have been testing the pool myself with the TF-100 test kit but went to the pool store to pick up some more liquid chlorine so I took a sample of water just to see what their test said. My test and theirs was pretty close except the chlorine levels With my TF kit I got :
TC 10
CC 0
TA 80
Ph 7.0
CYA 0
So after I got home I put the washing soda in 37 ounces and retested tonight and the PH looks like it 7.3-7.4. Chlorine was 8. I will continue to use the SLAM. Haven't read the article yet but Since opening I have been keeping the pool at shock level. And Testing throughout the day and its not really using that much chlorine during the day and none at night. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.