My TA is very high. Should I lower it?

May 7, 2014
Florida
I have this problem too, and I just filled the pool from scratch, my level is 330??? what types of water contaminants present in well water would cause high TA.. Also, buffering capability refers to the level of "salts" in the pool, if you add acid you will just get a load of H+ ions circulating around, i guess i don't understand why the high TA happens and why adding H+ will fix it without lowering the pH? not a hi- jack i promise, it is on the same topic.

Topic split. Please ask questions in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's existing topic. JasonLion

I have this problem too, and I just filled the pool from scratch, my level is 330??? what types of water contaminants present in well water would cause high TA.. Also, buffering capability refers to the level of "salts" in the pool, if you add acid you will just get a load of H+ ions circulating around, i guess i don't understand why the high TA happens and why adding H+ will fix it without lowering the pH? not a hi- jack i promise, it is on the same topic.

Topic split. Please ask questions in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's existing topic. JasonLion
Adding acid to lower TA DOES lower pH. Which is why we advocate lowering only to 7.2 pH, then aerating to bring pH back up so you can safely add more acid.

The aeration is exactly the same process you get when you shake a can of Coke. The carbolic acid releases CO2 which lowers the pH which allows you to chug it without burning your throat.

What's in your fill water is probably Calcium Carbonate. Chalk. Sheetrock. Get a piece and drip some pool acid on it. It will fizz up and the bubbles will pop, releasing CO2 gas. Same thing is happening in your pool, just so diluted you don't see it fizzing.

i promise, it is on the same topic.
Our definition of a hi-jack is asking the same question as OP within OP's thread.

When two people ask questions, the two questions will sooner or later require different answers. It is confusing and bogs down the entire thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.