Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My TA is very high. Should I lower it?

1. Back To Top    #1

My TA is very high. Should I lower it?

I have this problem too, and I just filled the pool from scratch, my level is 330??? what types of water contaminants present in well water would cause high TA.. Also, buffering capability refers to the level of "salts" in the pool, if you add acid you will just get a load of H+ ions circulating around, i guess i don't understand why the high TA happens and why adding H+ will fix it without lowering the pH? not a hi- jack i promise, it is on the same topic.

Topic split. Please ask questions in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's existing topic. JasonLion

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: My TA is very high. Should I lower it?

Adding Acid lowers the TA and the pH...

full test results?
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by runawaylobster View Post
    I have this problem too, and I just filled the pool from scratch, my level is 330??? what types of water contaminants present in well water would cause high TA.. Also, buffering capability refers to the level of "salts" in the pool, if you add acid you will just get a load of H+ ions circulating around, i guess i don't understand why the high TA happens and why adding H+ will fix it without lowering the pH? not a hi- jack i promise, it is on the same topic.

Topic split. Please ask questions in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's existing topic. JasonLion
    Adding acid to lower TA DOES lower pH. Which is why we advocate lowering only to 7.2 pH, then aerating to bring pH back up so you can safely add more acid.

The aeration is exactly the same process you get when you shake a can of Coke. The carbolic acid releases CO2 which lowers the pH which allows you to chug it without burning your throat.

What's in your fill water is probably Calcium Carbonate. Chalk. Sheetrock. Get a piece and drip some pool acid on it. It will fizz up and the bubbles will pop, releasing CO2 gas. Same thing is happening in your pool, just so diluted you don't see it fizzing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

i promise, it is on the same topic.
    Our definition of a hi-jack is asking the same question as OP within OP's thread.

When two people ask questions, the two questions will sooner or later require different answers. It is confusing and bogs down the entire thread.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School