Best way to clean used pool steps?

Jul 25, 2011
Bedford, NH
I'm pretty psyched, just landed a set of Confer Plastics pool steps for $75. Stock photo, but I got these:

step-1_web_main1.jpg

Only problem is they've been outside under a deck for a year and they're pretty nasty. I don't own a pressure washer (though I may try to borrow one), so what's the best way to clean these? I currently have a standard pool ladder for my 18' AGP, and the "out of water" portion of that is pretty nasty, while the part that's in the water is sparkling white. I've always said I'm going to shock my pool one of these years and put the whole ladder in for a cleaning. Never got around to it. Now with this Confer setup, I'm entertaining it...especially since it's too cold to swim and the water is FREEZING right now.

Assuming I'd take the proper precautions to avoid liner damage...is there any other reason I shouldn't shock my pool and put an entire step system under water to give it a cleaning? Or is there a better way?

Thanks!

I actually just found a pdf version of the assembly instructions...I may see how feasible it would be to disassemble them and clean the parts individually. I'm thinking if I can put some bleach/water into a kiddy pool and soak the parts, that might work, right?

take them to the carwash!!! plenty of high pressure soap there. carwash is good for many things beyond cleaning cars. Richard is spot on with the simple green and scrub brush, there isnt much simple green cant tackle. take a bottle of it and scrub brush to the carwash. scrub 'em down and powerwash them off. :p

Or you can take them apart and scrub and soak them and reassemble. Sounds like you have plenty of options. :cool:

I have the ansew !!!! :)

Buy you some Oxi-clean powder stuff. (I like the off brand named "Sun" I think....but it's sold at wally world next to oxi)
Get steps wet....then sprinkle on a good amount of the cleaner. Then after a couple minutes ....take scrub brush and or wash/terry cloth. It shouldn't take a whole lot of "elbow grease"....but the stuff works wonders!

I had a bath tub that we purchased from a bath supply store...it was out back....didn't care just needed a tub when we first moved in house. I tried soaking bleach I it......simple green....etc. Finally tried the Sun brand oxi clean....and tub became white! !!

Also...if anyone ever needs to clean a deck, do the same process as I explained. But wait about five minutes. No brushing is needed.....only to brush around the powder around....but wood will brighten up like NEW!!!

Post some before and after pics if you can! ;)

(I feel pretty darn happy.....lol....I can finally help someone else out here.....seems like there are so many having great knowledge on pools...I'm the one getting the help....lol)

I bought mine used and forgot to clean the inside of the pipes which caused me to have chlorine consumption issues

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a used one as well that came w/ our used pool. We didn't have any trouble due to the inside of the pipes... there are plugs to cover the holes at the bottom so that the water in the pipes doesn't come into contact w/the pool water. Unfortunately I'm going to have to hunt some new caps as ours have gotten dry rotted over the years and are cracked to the point I'm not sure they will hold another season.

I have a used one as well that came w/ our used pool. We didn't have any trouble due to the inside of the pipes... there are plugs to cover the holes at the bottom so that the water in the pipes doesn't come into contact w/the pool water. Unfortunately I'm going to have to hunt some new caps as ours have gotten dry rotted over the years and are cracked to the point I'm not sure they will hold another season.
Did you ever find the caps that We’re dry rotted? I have been looking for A week for replacement parts

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.