Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to clean used pool steps?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to clean used pool steps?

I'm pretty psyched, just landed a set of Confer Plastics pool steps for $75. Stock photo, but I got these:

Only problem is they've been outside under a deck for a year and they're pretty nasty. I don't own a pressure washer (though I may try to borrow one), so what's the best way to clean these? I currently have a standard pool ladder for my 18' AGP, and the "out of water" portion of that is pretty nasty, while the part that's in the water is sparkling white. I've always said I'm going to shock my pool one of these years and put the whole ladder in for a cleaning. Never got around to it. Now with this Confer setup, I'm entertaining it...especially since it's too cold to swim and the water is FREEZING right now.

Assuming I'd take the proper precautions to avoid liner damage...is there any other reason I shouldn't shock my pool and put an entire step system under water to give it a cleaning? Or is there a better way?

Thanks!
    18' round above ground, vinyl liner, 48" deep (flat), Confer Step1 steps. Approximately 7600 gallons. Waterways/Proline FC075 cartridge filter. 75GPM (71 minute complete cycle), 75 sq ft filtration area.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to clean used pool steps?

I actually just found a pdf version of the assembly instructions...I may see how feasible it would be to disassemble them and clean the parts individually. I'm thinking if I can put some bleach/water into a kiddy pool and soak the parts, that might work, right?
    18' round above ground, vinyl liner, 48" deep (flat), Confer Step1 steps. Approximately 7600 gallons. Waterways/Proline FC075 cartridge filter. 75GPM (71 minute complete cycle), 75 sq ft filtration area.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd start with a hose, some simple green, and a scrub brush.

And then let it soak in the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

take them to the carwash!!! plenty of high pressure soap there. carwash is good for many things beyond cleaning cars. Richard is spot on with the simple green and scrub brush, there isnt much simple green cant tackle. take a bottle of it and scrub brush to the carwash. scrub 'em down and powerwash them off.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Or you can take them apart and scrub and soak them and reassemble. Sounds like you have plenty of options.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the ansew !!!!

Buy you some Oxi-clean powder stuff. (I like the off brand named "Sun" I think....but it's sold at wally world next to oxi)
    Get steps wet....then sprinkle on a good amount of the cleaner. Then after a couple minutes ....take scrub brush and or wash/terry cloth. It shouldn't take a whole lot of "elbow grease"....but the stuff works wonders!

I had a bath tub that we purchased from a bath supply store...it was out back....didn't care just needed a tub when we first moved in house. I tried soaking bleach I it......simple green....etc. Finally tried the Sun brand oxi clean....and tub became white! !!

Also...if anyone ever needs to clean a deck, do the same process as I explained. But wait about five minutes. No brushing is needed.....only to brush around the powder around....but wood will brighten up like NEW!!!

Post some before and after pics if you can!

(I feel pretty darn happy.....lol....I can finally help someone else out here.....seems like there are so many having great knowledge on pools...I'm the one getting the help....lol)
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 52"
    Intex 3000 gph Sand Filter Pump, Intex Salt Water System SWG
    Hayward Thru Wall Skimmer and stock return line
    Two Hayward I lets
    Florida/Alabama

7. Back To Top    #7

Closing the loop...I ended up borrowing a pressure washer. A half hour later they were set, and I'll be installing them later today. They look awesome! Thanks all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Awesome!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

cool
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 52"
    Intex 3000 gph Sand Filter Pump, Intex Salt Water System SWG
    Hayward Thru Wall Skimmer and stock return line
    Two Hayward I lets
    Florida/Alabama

10. Back To Top    #10

I bought mine used and forgot to clean the inside of the pipes which caused me to have chlorine consumption issues

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a used one as well that came w/ our used pool. We didn't have any trouble due to the inside of the pipes... there are plugs to cover the holes at the bottom so that the water in the pipes doesn't come into contact w/the pool water. Unfortunately I'm going to have to hunt some new caps as ours have gotten dry rotted over the years and are cracked to the point I'm not sure they will hold another season.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits