Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easytouch/IC-40 Flow Indication Signal

1. Back To Top    #1

Easytouch/IC-40 Flow Indication Signal

I have an Easytouch connected to an IC-40. I'm adding a Max-E-Therm heater this year, but the equipment pad is outside of the range of the pressure switch in the heater (Too high up the hill), so I need a flow switch.

The IC-40 has a flow switch, and will be ~2 feet after the heater Does it send this signal back to the easy touch so that I can tie it back to the heater?
    Rusted out Laars Lite (Needs replacement)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Easytouch/IC-40 Flow Indication Signal

Yes, but. The EasyTouch will shutdown the pump, and therefor the heater, if it doesn't detect flow for several minutes. However, flow sensors aren't all that reliable, and the several minute delay is likely to cause problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there a better alternative? The only way I see using the pressure sensor on the heater is to add an obstruction downstream of the heater (Maybe a short section of 1 inch pipe?)

4. Back To Top    #4

Normally you can just adjust the pressure sensor to the correct range and everything will be fine. What does the manual for the heater say about it?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The manual says you can adjust to 5 feet above or 4 feet below. Outside of that use a flow switch

6. Back To Top    #6

I strongly suspect they want a flow switch that cuts off the heater right away.

Hayward makes separate flow switch assemblies that you can buy as a replacement part for the AquaRite series.