Central Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
On my in-ground pool, I have about a 1/4" piece broken out of the rectangular face plate on the front of my skimmer. It does NOT appear to be leaking .... though I will test it with some die tonight. It looks like about an 18" wide plate. Do I need to drain the water to replace it? How big of a job is it? Trying to decide if I should pay to have a pool company change it. I assume there is a gasket as well. Afraid I may do damage if it is stuck to the liner, etc. Looking for advice.

Thanks,
Rich

Is this repair recommended by others that have done it, or should I have a professional do it? How likely is it that the liner will move? and/or that the gasket will not come off the liner? Any other concerns about the home owner (Me) doing this repair. It sounds simple enough ... I just don't know ... what I don't know :D

Should be a piece of cake. I just replaced my liner and the skimmer was the easiest part. Drain your water just below the skimmer. Take out all the screws and pull the faceplate off - the gasket will probably be sticking to it... There is another gasket between the liner and the wall - you shouldn't have to do anything with that. Install the new faceplate with new a gasket and you'l be good to go!

I believe it is leaking. There is rust showing around some of the screws. The screws are stainless, I assume, so it is probably rust from the metal behind the liner ... again, I assume. Pool Skimmer 1.jpg Pool Skimmer 2.JPG

Also, Is there anything that will clean this brown (assume) rust color from the liner or plastic skimmer?

Does anyone know if there is just one gasket or two in the installation? One on the outside of the liner and one on the inside? or, just one on the outside behind the faceplate?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. I did the dye test around the cracked skimmer face plate. No sign of a leak. It is pretty cracked on the inside edge though. The decision ...... cover with a face plate cover .. or replace the face plate and gasket ???? Any opinions??

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.