Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crack in Skimmer Face PLate

1. Back To Top    #1

Crack in Skimmer Face PLate

On my in-ground pool, I have about a 1/4" piece broken out of the rectangular face plate on the front of my skimmer. It does NOT appear to be leaking .... though I will test it with some die tonight. It looks like about an 18" wide plate. Do I need to drain the water to replace it? How big of a job is it? Trying to decide if I should pay to have a pool company change it. I assume there is a gasket as well. Afraid I may do damage if it is stuck to the liner, etc. Looking for advice.

Thanks,
    Rich
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crack in Skimmer Face PLate

you should drain it to a level below the skimmer to prevent water from getting between the liner and wall.

http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...er_gasket.aspx
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this repair recommended by others that have done it, or should I have a professional do it? How likely is it that the liner will move? and/or that the gasket will not come off the liner? Any other concerns about the home owner (Me) doing this repair. It sounds simple enough ... I just don't know ... what I don't know
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Should be a piece of cake. I just replaced my liner and the skimmer was the easiest part. Drain your water just below the skimmer. Take out all the screws and pull the faceplate off - the gasket will probably be sticking to it... There is another gasket between the liner and the wall - you shouldn't have to do anything with that. Install the new faceplate with new a gasket and you'l be good to go!
    16 x 32 inground vinyl pool (21000 gallons) (new liner installed 2014)
    Hayward max flo pump w/ 1 HP AO Smith motor (new motor 2014)
    Hayward C1200 cartridge filter (new 2014)
    Hayward H150 heater

5. Back To Top    #5

If it's not leaking, you could also just get a cover for the faceplate. It snaps on top and covers all the screws for a nice clean look...

6. Back To Top    #6

I believe it is leaking. There is rust showing around some of the screws. The screws are stainless, I assume, so it is probably rust from the metal behind the liner ... again, I assume. Pool Skimmer 1.jpg Pool Skimmer 2.JPG

Also, Is there anything that will clean this brown (assume) rust color from the liner or plastic skimmer?

7. Back To Top    #7

Just because you have a bit of rust doesn't mean there's a leak. Actually I think chlorine can cause a slight bit of surface rust even on stainless after long periods. Maybe try some CLR to clean it

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. I don't want to sound too stupid here ... but what is CLR? Calcium, Lime Rust remover?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep, but any generic rust remover will probably work. Unless that's some algae growing in which case scrub it with some bleach asap. I aways had a little growth right there when I opened my pool in the spring.
    Hayward H150 heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Does anyone know if there is just one gasket or two in the installation? One on the outside of the liner and one on the inside? or, just one on the outside behind the faceplate?

11. Back To Top    #11

I did mine myself this spring. No issues, and the liner didn't move. Just drain the water level to just below the bottom of the old gasket.

As for how many gaskets, I don't know anything about inground pools, but you should be able to look up the skimmer model number and parts to get some help.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

There will be two gaskets. One between the pool wall and the liner. The other between the liner and the skimmer faceplate.
    Hayward H150 heater

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok. Just went to the pool store for parts and advice. They scared the heck out of me about the possibility of the liner moving. He basically said "Good Luck"! Yikes!

14. Back To Top    #14

Typical... You shouldn't have any issues and I bet it only takes about 20 mins to change it

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok. I did the dye test around the cracked skimmer face plate. No sign of a leak. It is pretty cracked on the inside edge though. The decision ...... cover with a face plate cover .. or replace the face plate and gasket ???? Any opinions??

Thanks

16. Back To Top    #16

If you're gonna be in there anyways, I'd replace the gasket as well.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry