Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Peladow Ice Melt Pellets for Calcium Hardness increaser?

1. Back To Top    #1

Peladow Ice Melt Pellets for Calcium Hardness increaser?

Hi, After reading some ways to lower my chemical bills on this forum and needing to increase my calcium hardness I was able to find a 50# bag of Peladow Calcium Chloride Pellets for $17. They are small pellets maybe the size of BB's and I think would dissolve fairly well. My question though is I noticed on the bag it lists 4 ingredients.

Calcium Chloride 90-97%
    Water 2-6%
    Sodium Chloride No % listed
    Strontium Chloride No % Listed
    Potassium Chloride No % Listed

Is this safe to use as a Calcium Hardness increaser?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Peladow Ice Melt Pellets for Calcium Hardness increaser?

Yes. It's even mentioned by name in Pool School. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Yes. It's even mentioned by name in Pool School. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    Thanks...I wonder why the bag lists containing the last three ingredients yet doesn't list any percentage of the each?

4. Back To Top    #4

can i ask where you found that at?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by petes914 View Post
    Thanks...I wonder why the bag lists containing the last three ingredients yet doesn't list any percentage of the each?
    Because there are no quantities of that element in the product mix. It is easier for the manufacturer to leave the lable with 0% or not listed rather than create a new print run. Same lables are used across their product line and they may have commercial items that include Strontium and/or Potassium. Nice find this time of year for a good price. Saved yourself quite a few $$.
    30,000 gallon Sylvan, Hayward 60 sq ft DE filter, IntelliBrite LED Light, Circupool SI45+ SWG, Raypak 400k BTU Propane Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Am only able to find the Ice Melt in my area with the Roadrunner printed on bag (40 lbs). Ingredients are Sodium Chloride and Magnesium Chloride but no indication of their concentration. Will it work or pass and get at pool store?

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by miles267 View Post
    Am only able to find the Ice Melt in my area with the Roadrunner printed on bag (40 lbs). Ingredients are Sodium Chloride and Magnesium Chloride but no indication of their concentration. Will it work or pass and get at pool store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That will most certainly not work...there's probably very little calcium in that product. Most ice melt products are inexpensive and contain little calcium chlorine and often lots of salt and magnesium chloride...and lots of grit and dirt.

You want a product that is mostly pure calcium chloride, nothing else.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Appreciate the clarification. This is exactly why I did not purchase. Seems most retailers selling same ice melt "blends." May ultimately need to order the pure version online.

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

9. Back To Top    #9

Calcium chloride is relatively expensive compared to sodium or magnesium chloride. Also, there is a slight hazard with calcium chloride that it has a very large and exothermic heat of hydration. When you dissolve calcium chloride in a bucket water, the water can heat up significantly. So transportation, handling and storage of calcium chloride requires more cost as well. Outside of the snow belt climates, pure calcium chloride is hard to find in retail stores.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates