LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2012
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My TA is 350. I have a water fountain to speed up the process. But is it worth it? Is the TA important if my pH stays the same most of the time?

If your pH is stable there really isn't any reason to worry about TA. The exception would be if you had an inground plaster pool and were approaching CSI issues.

Wow, that's really high!

Are you absolutely positive there was no testing error? Two possibilities come to mind: 1) it's a fresh bottle of R-009 and you have the static electricity problem that causes the drops to be smaller than they should be, which means more drops needed, which means artificially high TA readings. 2) You're using test strips and your pH isn't as stable as you think.

That sound ... is me banging my head on the desk for answering a post before my 2nd cup of coffee. Thanks for the catch on astronomically high TA Richard.

I tested 3 days in a row and same all the time. Same problem last year. TA was over 300 after I fill the pool. I'm using TF-100 kit and just ordered a replacement kit since my TA bottle is almost empty.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't think about it till now but I have a Hanna HI 755 Alkalinity Checker (digital I used for my marine aquarium) and saltwater test kit for marine aquarium. I will try with these and see if it close to what I get with TF-100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also have ridiculously high TA, and I've learned not to worry so much about it. The fill water routinely tests 400-ish, and the pH is fairly stable. The Calcium is a tad high (don't recall the last test result), but no issues.

Since I started reading TFP and quit granulated chlorine and then the tabs (went to liquid with a slow peristaltic pump), my pool is clean, clear, and has been as trouble free as a 144,000 gal pool can be.

What is the pH of your fill water?

Ike
I never tested my fill water. But in the village report it says it is 7.0 pH. Right now my pH in the pool is about 7.5

- - - Updated - - -

I also have ridiculously high TA, and I've learned not to worry so much about it. The fill water routinely tests 400-ish, and the pH is fairly stable. The Calcium is a tad high (don't recall the last test result), but no issues.

Since I started reading TFP and quit granulated chlorine and then the tabs (went to liquid with a slow peristaltic pump), my pool is clean, clear, and has been as trouble free as a 144,000 gal pool can be.
That is a big pool! I think I will lower the TA anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.