Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My TA is 350. Should I lower it?

1. Back To Top    #1

My TA is 350. Should I lower it?

My TA is 350. I have a water fountain to speed up the process. But is it worth it? Is the TA important if my pH stays the same most of the time?
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My TA is 350. Should I lower it?

If your pH is stable there really isn't any reason to worry about TA. The exception would be if you had an inground plaster pool and were approaching CSI issues.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow, that's really high!

Are you absolutely positive there was no testing error? Two possibilities come to mind: 1) it's a fresh bottle of R-009 and you have the static electricity problem that causes the drops to be smaller than they should be, which means more drops needed, which means artificially high TA readings. 2) You're using test strips and your pH isn't as stable as you think.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

That sound ... is me banging my head on the desk for answering a post before my 2nd cup of coffee. Thanks for the catch on astronomically high TA Richard.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I tested 3 days in a row and same all the time. Same problem last year. TA was over 300 after I fill the pool. I'm using TF-100 kit and just ordered a replacement kit since my TA bottle is almost empty.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't think about it till now but I have a Hanna HI 755 Alkalinity Checker (digital I used for my marine aquarium) and saltwater test kit for marine aquarium. I will try with these and see if it close to what I get with TF-100
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

6. Back To Top    #6

I checked again last night and it is at 310 right now. It went down because I lower it with acid and aerate.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

7. Back To Top    #7

This page indicates that the water in Frankfort is very, very hard. 31-36 grains per gallon (GPG) is 531-616 ppm total hardness so probably around 400 ppm CH. Oftentimes, when the CH is high the TA is also high, though 300+ is pretty darn high.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

I will re check it again once the TF-100 refill kit arrives. But I'm pretty sure it will be the same. Also I do have water softener
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

9. Back To Top    #9

A water softener will lower the CH replacing calcium and magnesium with sodium, but it won't lower the TA.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Received replacement kit for tf100 last night. Testes water again for TA and it is 310

77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

11. Back To Top    #11

What is the pH of your fill water?

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

I also have ridiculously high TA, and I've learned not to worry so much about it. The fill water routinely tests 400-ish, and the pH is fairly stable. The Calcium is a tad high (don't recall the last test result), but no issues.

Since I started reading TFP and quit granulated chlorine and then the tabs (went to liquid with a slow peristaltic pump), my pool is clean, clear, and has been as trouble free as a 144,000 gal pool can be.
    In-ground Plaster 40' X 80' 144K gallon pool w/ 2 pumps (old Challenger bronze and newer Challenger II plastic) and 2 large sand filters (Pentair Triton 140's). Built in '85, in bee-yootiful shady Buffalo Gap, West Texas.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    What is the pH of your fill water?

Ike
    I never tested my fill water. But in the village report it says it is 7.0 pH. Right now my pH in the pool is about 7.5

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jamyers View Post
    I also have ridiculously high TA, and I've learned not to worry so much about it. The fill water routinely tests 400-ish, and the pH is fairly stable. The Calcium is a tad high (don't recall the last test result), but no issues.

Since I started reading TFP and quit granulated chlorine and then the tabs (went to liquid with a slow peristaltic pump), my pool is clean, clear, and has been as trouble free as a 144,000 gal pool can be.
    That is a big pool! I think I will lower the TA anyway.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub