Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool skimmer basket and pump skimmer basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool skimmer basket and pump skimmer basket

Here is my problem. Pump goes off and the basket in pool skimmer floats to the top and pushing on the "flapper" (I think this is how you call it) when pump goes back on basket won't sink fast enough and block the "flipper" which prevents water flow into the skimmer.
    Even if I have not explain correctly a lot of you probably knows what I'm talking about. Can I just remove the basket from the pool skimmer? And use only the one by the pump?
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool skimmer basket and pump skimmer basket

No, you want the basket to catch big stuff so it doesnt clog the impeller. One solution is to use a rock to weigh down the skimmer.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    No, you want the basket to catch big stuff so it doesnt clog the impeller. One solution is to use a rock to weigh down the skimmer.
    But I will leave the basket in by the pump just remove the one in the skimmer in pool wall
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't consider removing skimmer basket due to safety concerns, personally.

Also, my son would likely send god know what into the **** thing as soon as the basket was left off for any appreciable time
    20K gal, IG vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump , 100lb sand, installed 2000 - new liner/filter/pump March 2014
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Use the rock. It's a bulletproof solution and the price is right.

Don't remove either basket.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Just as a note to others reading this thread, make sure the rock is bigger than the opening in the bottom of your skimmer. Not a huge deal with an AG pool, but dropping the rock into the skimmer while cleaning the basket on an IG pool could prove costly.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

+1 on both the rock, and making sure it can't fit through the hole in the skimmer.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys. Will have to find a decent size rock then. Maybe I will borrow my wife's wedding ring
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

9. Back To Top    #9

I tried to find one that wasn't too flat too, so as to not block to much flow...
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

10. Back To Top    #10

I might go to the beach over the weekend and look over there. I'm pretty sure I can find something there
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub