Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Hayward Heater Automate or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Hayward Heater Automate or not?

So after going back and forth between solar and NG. We decided to go with a Hayward NG heater. My question now comes to controls, automate the system or not? As of right now my pump is run manually. I'm more of a simplest at heart, so I was thinking of a intermatic timer. Also in the back of my mind, Im curious as to what automation is out there? Any recommendations on either automate or just run a timer? Also I am a DYI guy so Id be doing this all myself. Thanks everyone
    IG 16x32 Grecian - Vinyl - Approx 18k gal - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump - Pentair Triton II TR-60 Sand Filter - Hayward ColorLogic Light - Hayward H250FD Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Hayward Heater Automate or not?

For a standard pool with no spa or other water features a standard Intermatic timer is fine. If you have some landscaping lights, or water features, then there is some value to looking into automation systems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

A lot depends on how you are going to use the heater. I only run mine once in a while, my neighbor keeps his pool set to 90Deg all season. His is set up so if the water temp drops below that his pump turns on and then the heater fires up. Kind of like heating your house in the winter. Keep it at one temp.

Mine is turned on manually when I feel it needs it. Kind of like heating an out building during the winter. Only heat it when you need it.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    For a standard pool with no spa or other water features a standard Intermatic timer is fine. If you have some landscaping lights, or water features, then there is some value to looking into automation systems.

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    A lot depends on how you are going to use the heater. I only run mine once in a while, my neighbor keeps his pool set to 90Deg all season. His is set up so if the water temp drops below that his pump turns on and then the heater fires up. Kind of like heating your house in the winter. Keep it at one temp.

Mine is turned on manually when I feel it needs it. Kind of like heating an out building during the winter. Only heat it when you need it.
    Thanks guys. I think I am going with the timer. I plan on running it as mentioned, just every once in awhile. As the kids don't really care, they were in it this weekend @68 degrees. Ill just use the heater when the wife wants to go in
    IG 16x32 Grecian - Vinyl - Approx 18k gal - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump - Pentair Triton II TR-60 Sand Filter - Hayward ColorLogic Light - Hayward H250FD Heater