Pool - 42000 gallons
Using a K 2600 test kit, results are:

FC- 1.8
CC - 0
PH - 7.8
TA - 100
CH - 650
CYA - 110

I have been adding 3 gallons of bleach a day but cant get the FC any higher. Poolmath says we should add over 2000 oz of bleach and drain 50% of the pool water. My question is if I need to do both or is it an either or? Thanks for your help.

You need to reduce the CYA first, then retest to find CYA again as it may not get to the anticipated value. Then add chlorine based on that to get to shock level if the pool is not clear or if it looks good then go to the upper level of your FC range. Monitor the pool closely to see if it is holding chlorine well.

You may need to slam the pool. I suspect you might bout it is possible that it will be OK once you get CYA under control.

No more tabs or dichlor shock for this pool.

Okay - much appreciate the responses. The dilution test for the CYA = 110
The CH of the fill water is 200. We stopped using the dichlor last week and got rid of the tabs this weekend.
Okay, good.

You need to reduce the CYA first, then retest to find CYA again as it may not get to the anticipated value. Then add chlorine based on that to get to shock level if the pool is not clear or if it looks good then go to the upper level of your FC range. Monitor the pool closely to see if it is holding chlorine well.

You may need to slam the pool. I suspect you might bout it is possible that it will be OK once you get CYA under control.

No more tabs or dichlor shock for this pool.

What anona said is the way to go ^^^^^

Let us know when you get the CYA down and post a new set of test numbers.

Also, we'd love to see a pic or two of your pool :D

Taking about half of the pool water out as we speak. Will fill and post new new test numbers when completed. Thanks for your help. Be glad to post pictures but cant figure out how to get them to upload. I think they are too big. Will keep trying.

Okay - Drained half of the pool and refilled, after 2 hours of running the test results are:

FC - 0
CYA - 55(standing outside with my back to the sun)
PH - 7.8
TA - 90
CH - 460

Recommendations? and thanks again for your help!!

Okay - Drained half of the pool and refilled, after 2 hours of running the test results are:

FC - 0
CYA - 55(standing outside with my back to the sun)
PH - 7.8
TA - 90
CH - 460

Recommendations? and thanks again for your help!!
Get some bleach in there, target something like 9 or 10, let that mix half an hour, then adjust pH to maybe 7.4. Another half an hour and recheck pH, FC, CC, and TA. If you're holding FC above 9 and CC is staying down below .5, go swimming. If not, post results and await the instructions to SLAM...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard - Had to leave this morning but added 6 gallons of bleach which according to poolmath should have brought FC up to 7.5. Just did the test and

9:00 am 2:00 pm
FC - 0 2.4
CYA - 55(I do have some trouble with this test 60 then did the dilution test and showed 60 - 65
PH - 7.8 7.8
TA - 90 80 (at 8 drops of R -0009 solution turned blue, at 9 drops, turned clear
CH - 460 500(did both tests with 25 and 10 ml)

I have washing soda if the PH needs to go down. Thanks for your patience

- - - Updated - - -

Richard - Had to leave this morning but added 6 gallons of bleach which according to poolmath should have brought FC up to 7.5. Just did the test and

9:00 am 2:00 pm
FC - 0 2.4
CYA - 55(I do have some trouble with this test 60 then did the dilution test and showed 60 - 65
PH - 7.8 7.8
TA - 90 80 (at 8 drops of R -0009 solution turned blue, at 9 drops, turned clear
CH - 460 500(did both tests with 25 and 10 ml

I messed up with the statement on washing soda, should have said I have Muriatic Acid. Sorry
Understood. Yes, whenever pH hits 7.8, lower it to 7.2.

It looks like something is growing in there, so a SLAM is called for. You lost an awful lot of FC in 7 hours. Did you measure CC? Since the water is clear, it should go quickly. Adjust the pH with acid, give it half an hour to mix, and hit it! It's going to take a lot of bleach for a pool that size. Just follow those instructions exactly. Your target FC with 55 CYA is 22. Yes, really. That will kill off algae faster than it can reproduce.

Well, I put 13 96oz bottles of bleach in the pool at 3:00. Just tested the water(8:00) and the FC is 7. Should have been 22 according to PoolMath. Asked my wife to do the CYA test with no explanation other than the dot and she came up with 55. Then asked her to do the dilution test and she came up with 60 so it doesnt appear to be the CYA level. What do you think? Will test again in the am.

Well, I put 13 96oz bottles of bleach in the pool at 3:00. Just tested the water(8:00) and the FC is 7. Should have been 22 according to PoolMath. Asked my wife to do the CYA test with no explanation other than the dot and she came up with 55. Then asked her to do the dilution test and she came up with 60 so I guess its not the CYA level. What do you think? Will test again in the am. CC was zero. The water is beautiful!!

Good morning!! Test results at 7:30 am

FC - 7.2
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
TA - 90
CH - 500
CYA - 70

Did FC, PH and CYA twice with my wife to confirm the numbers. Independently, we agreed. Water is sparkling. Recommendations? CH that high damaging to the pool?

Good morning!! Test results at 7:30 am

FC - 7.2
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
TA - 90
CH - 500
CYA - 70

Did FC, PH and CYA twice with my wife to confirm the numbers. Independently, we agreed. Water is sparkling. Recommendations? CH that high damaging to the pool?
At 7:30, the sun's already been hitting the water, so it wasn't an overnight loss test. The amount of chlorine your pool sucked up the day before is still alarming. I would keep it at SLAM one more day and try to do the overnight loss test precisely tomorrow morning. A couple extra jugs today could save a couple dozen over the weekend.

500 CH by itself will not damage the pool. Combined with high pH and high TA, it can lead to scaling. Check my reply #8 in this thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.