Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter working?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter working?

Last fall before I closed my pool, I was starting to wonder if the sand filter was working. My water seemed to be getting cloudy with sediment. I gave up trying to fix it and closed the pool. I installed a new spider gasket in the multiport thinking that there was a bypassing leak in the filter. I also took all the sand out and checked the laterals, found no problems, and put the sand back in. Now that I am opening the pool and trying to filter again, I still don't think it is working. I have even seen some black sediment blowing back in the pool when I was vacuuming. Is it possible that the water is going into the multiport valve at the top of the stand pipe and not being drawn thru the sand? Is there supposed to be some kind of seal in the bottom of the multiport?
    24' above ground, 2008 Esther Williams, 13,500 gallon, 200# sand filter, 1.5hp pump, bottom drains.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Sand filter working?

We can be a lot more helpful when you post test results. There is just too much guess work until we understand the condition of your water.

What does your water look like clarity wise
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    We can be a lot more helpful when you post test results. There is just too much guess work until we understand the condition of your water.

What does your water look like clarity wise

I have not had a lot of time to do much water testing yet. I accidentally dumped a bunch of maple tree helicopter seeds in the water from removing the winter cover. I was trying to vacuum and skim the pool first. I did shock the pool and add some PH plus but now it is too cloudy green to see to vacuum. I shut down the pump over night to let it all settle so I could vacuum again. I should have waited to shock it. Maybe it wouldn't have gotten cloudy. I am just trying to get the sediment out right now.
    24' above ground, 2008 Esther Williams, 13,500 gallon, 200# sand filter, 1.5hp pump, bottom drains.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's a way to tell: stretch a sock over the return closest to the filter and secure it with a rubber band or something, and then vacuum. Then remove the sock and turn it inside out. Tinted green is fine, full of debris means the filter is not filtering and it's time to open it up again and check that there is no channeling and all the parts are seated properly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have been reading about fine micron filtering, Slime Bags, and last chance sock filtering. It seems that a lot of people have this problem with fine silt or dead algea laying on the bottom of the pool. Is is so fine that if you touch it, it just dissapears but it is annoying to me to see dirt in the bottom. I am still thinking that the sand filter can be made to work better. There is no seal between the vertical stand pipe and the multivalve. I don't think most of the water is going thru the sand. I am using a Sta-rite 200# sand filter. I have seen some multivalves with a seal but mine does not show one on the parts list. It seems like a bad design to just set a high flow valve on a pipe that probably is not lined up perfectly and expect it to seal. Even adding DE would not help if there is a stand pipe leak would it? Any thoughts or ideas to improve it?

6. Back To Top    #6

By the way, my water is clean and treated now. I don't have the water test results here with me now but I do use the BBB with your tests kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Here's a way to tell: stretch a sock over the return closest to the filter and secure it with a rubber band or something, and then vacuum. Then remove the sock and turn it inside out. Tinted green is fine, full of debris means the filter is not filtering and it's time to open it up again and check that there is no channeling and all the parts are seated properly.
    hopefully I am not hi-jacking this thread as I have similar issue....but how does one stretch a sock over the return of an in-ground pool when they are relatively flush and all I have is a TINY lip and the eyeball sticking out. I've tried a sock on the lip, but it keeps blowing off ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

8. Back To Top    #8

I used a large zip tie to keep the sock on the return.

You could also remove the eyeball and try to screw in the top of the sock against the o-ring when you put the eyeball back in.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons