What is the BBB method?

In short, it is a method that depends on accurate and frequent testing of the pool water in order to add only the specific ingredients needed to keep the water clear and sanitized.
BBB refers to bleach, baking soda and borax however those particular items may not be needed in your pool.
For example, I use liquid shock (just a strong bleach) and muriatic acid with an occasional addition of calcium via Calcium Increaser or more likely cal-hypo.
The most essential part of this is accurate testing. This requires one of two recommended brands of test kits, used daily or nearly daily.

As the others said we are trying to use TFPC these days as all to often we would see newbies run out to the store and stock up on bleach, baking soda and borax before ever testing their own pool water, just to find that they never needed the baking soda, and that the Borax is optional for most people. The BBB name was meant to imply the ability to buy most of the chemicals needed to manage a pool from a common grocery store laundry aisle, which is a nice side effect, but not the true driving purpose behind the TFPC method. Instead TFPC is about keeping a well balanced easily maintained pool through proper testing and addition of only the chemicals needed by the pool.

It stands for amazingly clean and clear water but we like to slap labels on it and call it Trouble Free Pool Care! :mrgreen: TFPC is so simple and the water is just amazing.

I appreciate the change to TPFC being one of those that did go out and buy some Bleach, Borax, and Baking Soda. Bleach is always required in some form, Borax and Baking Soda are only needed occasionally, fortunately, they are both quite useful in other areas of the house, like Borax for cleaning fiberglass tubs.

In short, it is a method that depends on accurate and frequent testing of the pool water in order to add only the specific ingredients needed to keep the water clear and sanitized.
BBB refers to bleach, baking soda and borax however those particular items may not be needed in your pool.
For example, I use liquid shock (just a strong bleach) and muriatic acid with an occasional addition of calcium via Calcium Increaser or more likely cal-hypo.
The most essential part of this is accurate testing. This requires one of two recommended brands of test kits, used daily or nearly daily.

Hey there, fellow Woodlands (Cochrans' Crossing) pool guy. Out of frustration, and even tho I knew better, I did the Yellow Out treatment Sunday night - 4 lb yellow out, 4 lb 73% hypochlor. The next morning, zero CL and a little leftover mustard algae. I added 6 gals 10% liquid chlorine. That evening my test kit showed 0 CL in the pool, so per Leslie's instructions, I added 4 more lb. of power powder. (Switched back and forth hoping not to increase CYA too much-currently at 30)
The following morning I had 10 CL. Now this morning, down to 3.5 CL, but no viewable algae. Tonight after work I will backwash and check CL level, but I'm worried that there will be 0 CL reading again. I"m kicking myself for ever using the Yellow Out. How many days/treatments of Chlorine will this take for my pool to hold CL again?

P.S. Leslie's tells me "everyone" is having Alky and Calc Hardness problems since all the rains. I was having them, but with less rain they seem to have balanced out. What're you seeing?

Thanks for your input!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.