Cl level holding great after slamming but ph continues to rise

May 6, 2014
redding, ca
Hi everyone. A couple of weeks back I slammed my pool, as per everyone's guidance. Thanks, the cl stuff seems to have really worked! My chlorine is now holding great I'm keeping it between 3 and 5 (per my cya of 40-50ish). My cl usage has gone down and holds pretty dang good throughout the day, and I add according in the evenings if needed.

Over the last week and a half my ph seems to continuously climb. I am having to add acid daily to keep it down in the 7.6-7.4 range. As hi as I've seen it has been 8.2. What gives? I'm only using only liquid chlorine 10%, and adding muriatic acid to keep ph in check.

Today I checked my levels after being gone from Saturday to Monday. They were: FC 4, CC 0, CYA 45, ph 8.0-8.2ish, alk 100, ch 250. Last time I had my water checked at pool store (2.5 weeks ago) TDS (yes I know bogus reading) was 1500, and no metals found.

Originally when I began having to add acid everyday my alk was at 50. After reading through the forums I tried bringing my alk up with baking soda (alk increaser) and now it's at 100. I know when you add alk increaser it also increases your ph, so a couple hours after adding I adjusted ph back down to the 7.4-7.2 range with muriatic acid. I did this over a week ago and I'm still seem to have a high acid demand to keep the ph in check. BTW this is a fiberglass pool.

I also check the ph of my fill water and it is b/w 6.8 and 7.

Any idea on what to try next? It seems I basically traded my high cl demand prior to slamming for a high muriatic acid demand post slamming. Prior to slamming my ph stayed pretty dang constant.

Thanks for the help!!! I'm really trying to get a grasp on this pool stuff, and these little episodes are making it really frustrating!!

From my original post. My alk was at 50 when I began having this issue....

"Originally when I began having to add acid everyday my alk was at 50. After reading through the forums I tried bringing my alk up with baking soda (alk increaser) and now it's at 100. I know when you add alk increaser it also increases your ph, so a couple hours after adding I adjusted ph back down to the 7.4-7.2 range with muriatic acid. I did this over a week ago and I'm still seem to have a high acid demand to keep the ph in check".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.