Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cl level holding great after slamming but ph continues to rise

1. Back To Top    #1

Cl level holding great after slamming but ph continues to rise

Hi everyone. A couple of weeks back I slammed my pool, as per everyone's guidance. Thanks, the cl stuff seems to have really worked! My chlorine is now holding great I'm keeping it between 3 and 5 (per my cya of 40-50ish). My cl usage has gone down and holds pretty dang good throughout the day, and I add according in the evenings if needed.

Over the last week and a half my ph seems to continuously climb. I am having to add acid daily to keep it down in the 7.6-7.4 range. As hi as I've seen it has been 8.2. What gives? I'm only using only liquid chlorine 10%, and adding muriatic acid to keep ph in check.

Today I checked my levels after being gone from Saturday to Monday. They were: FC 4, CC 0, CYA 45, ph 8.0-8.2ish, alk 100, ch 250. Last time I had my water checked at pool store (2.5 weeks ago) TDS (yes I know bogus reading) was 1500, and no metals found.

Originally when I began having to add acid everyday my alk was at 50. After reading through the forums I tried bringing my alk up with baking soda (alk increaser) and now it's at 100. I know when you add alk increaser it also increases your ph, so a couple hours after adding I adjusted ph back down to the 7.4-7.2 range with muriatic acid. I did this over a week ago and I'm still seem to have a high acid demand to keep the ph in check. BTW this is a fiberglass pool.

I also check the ph of my fill water and it is b/w 6.8 and 7.

Any idea on what to try next? It seems I basically traded my high cl demand prior to slamming for a high muriatic acid demand post slamming. Prior to slamming my ph stayed pretty dang constant.

Thanks for the help!!! I'm really trying to get a grasp on this pool stuff, and these little episodes are making it really frustrating!!
    13,600 fiberglass pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cl level holding great after slamming but ph continues to rise

P.S. My pool water is crystal clear.
    13,600 fiberglass pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Try a lower TA (Total Alkalinity).

4. Back To Top    #4

From my original post. My alk was at 50 when I began having this issue....

"Originally when I began having to add acid everyday my alk was at 50. After reading through the forums I tried bringing my alk up with baking soda (alk increaser) and now it's at 100. I know when you add alk increaser it also increases your ph, so a couple hours after adding I adjusted ph back down to the 7.4-7.2 range with muriatic acid. I did this over a week ago and I'm still seem to have a high acid demand to keep the ph in check".
    13,600 fiberglass pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Try keeping your pH at about 7.7 to 7.8. Allow your TA to come down as you add acid to adjust the ph. A pH of 7.7 with a TA of 60 should minimize pH rise.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just wondered if you're running any fountains or water features?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

No fountains or water features. Just the skimmer..
    13,600 fiberglass pool