Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opened in NJ to a mess

1. Back To Top    #1

Opened in NJ to a mess

I had an elephant cover installed at the end of last season but much too late - after most of the leaves from nearby trees already entered. Before opening, the middle of the cover was indented all the way down and I opened to water level that was 25%, and hovering around the middle of the pool light. I found a video online that says it is most likely a crack in the back light casing that can be patched with a product called Groov with the pool filled. I added bleach and filled the pool which is dark green. I ran initial tests and this is what my numbers are (will do a test early morning for overnight results:

FC 6
    CC 2

PH 8.0 (or higher, was more pink than the highest one)
    TA 50
    CH 120
    CYA (Dot didn't disappear even at highest level of 30)

What do you suggest I feed my pool with these numbers?

Thanks!!!!
    ------------------------
    30K Gallon Vinyl Inground
    Jandy DEL 48 DE Filter
    BBB Method
    Taylor FAS-DPD Test Kit K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opened in NJ to a mess

Assuming you're using your own reliable test kit results. Get that pH to 7.2 with muriatic acid. Use Pool Math. Then hit it with bleach following SLAM recommended levels for 30 CYA. Get some CYA dissolving in a sock to eventually get you to 30. Work CYA up to desired level from there.

CC > 0.5 means you should SLAM.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!
    Will this work for muriatic acid: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...ductId=3024039
    Will this work for stabilizer: http://www.lowes.com/pd_86401-1772-05503AQU_0__
    ------------------------
    Jandy DEL 48 DE Filter
    BBB Method

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by poolnj View Post
    Thanks!
    Will this work for muriatic acid: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...ductId=3024039
    Will this work for stabilizer: http://www.lowes.com/pd_86401-1772-05503AQU_0__
    Stabilizer looks good. Link didn't work for me on the acid. As long as it's some percentage of hydrochloric acid, you're good to go.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Opened in NJ to a mess

Yep your going to have to SLAM the pool. Here is the SLAM Process. Follow it to the T. Get as much debris out of the pool as you can. Lower your PH with muriatic acid into the low 7's. Get your CYA level up 20-30 ppm via the sock method. As soon as the CYA starts to dissolve start SLAMming.
    If you have any questions on the process don't hesitate to ask !😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Yep your going to have to SLAM the pool. Here is the SLAM Process. Follow it to the T. Get as much debris out of the pool as you can. Lower your PH with muriatic acid into the low 7's. Get your CYA level up 20-30 ppm via the sock method. As soon as the CYA starts to dissolve start SLAMming.
    That's my sock!

7. Back To Top    #7

The stabilizer is powder form in 3lb containers. Pool calculator calls for 120oz. Is the 3lb powder 48oz?
    ------------------------
    Jandy DEL 48 DE Filter
    BBB Method

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep! You may be able find a larger size for a less expensive price per pound online/amazon. Otherwise that's correct.

9. Back To Top    #9

Opened in NJ to a mess

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    That's my sock!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Yes it is ! It's a good reference pic. I hope copyright laws don't apply !! 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

Nope! The pink socks are entirely free for all to enjoy!

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow, free pink socks and the best community anywhere. TFP rocks
    ------------------------
    Jandy DEL 48 DE Filter
    BBB Method

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Get your CYA level up 20-30 ppm via the sock method. As soon as the CYA starts to dissolve start SLAMming.
    If my calculation calls for 120oz of stabilizer to bring up my cya, and the sock looks like it holds maybe 16 oz, does that mean I keep filling the sock until all that goes into the pool, or am I missing something?
    ------------------------
    Jandy DEL 48 DE Filter
    BBB Method

13. Back To Top    #13

If my calculation calls for 120oz of stabilizer to bring up my cya, and the sock looks like it holds maybe 16 oz, does that mean I keep filling the sock until all that goes into the pool, or am I missing something?
    Use another sock.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Not as exciting as a pink sock, but with limited supplies available, it does the trick (No, the extension cord is not plugged in!)
    ------------------------
    Jandy DEL 48 DE Filter
    BBB Method

15. Back To Top    #15

Haha. Time to raid the panty hose! Those you could fill up both legs and hang out over the post.

16. Back To Top    #16

That is not how we told you to shock the pool!

Not as exciting as a pink sock, but with limited supplies available, it does the trick (No, the extension cord is not plugged in!)
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

haha!

I make me a hobo bag to hold the CYA.

I use an old T shirt and some nylon string. Wrap a string just under the arms of the t shirt and pull it tight and tie in a knot. Instant large cloth bag.
    Put in bunch of CYA, then tie a string around the bottom of the t shirt. Then tie it on the pool pole and hang it in the water.

you can get lots of CYA in an old XL T shirt! Just make sure it dont have any holes in it that you dont know about.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

18. Back To Top    #18

I love the cord and follow up! lol
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter