Motor or Pump

Finally able to get the covers off the pool, and water is much better than in past (thanks to pool school!). Unfortunately, I think the motor is dead (I checked the breaker, it was on). Motor was replaced once before; how do I know whether to have just the motor replaced or the pump and motor? Any guesstimates on difference between just motor replacement verses motor and pump?
I'm also guessing that this is not a DIY for someone with no mechanical experience (since my hubby's strokes, he doesn't tackle such projects anymore) and I have yet to find trustworthy service with such projects - I'm hoping to be able to make an informed decision and not be taken advantage of.
I appreciate any insight.
When I research the model number (S48B74A03), it comes up as an AO Smith, but it has a sta rite label on it
HP 1.5
RPM 3450
Volts 115

p.s. any advice on what to do with water until we're up and running? I'm thinking this could take up to a week or so.

AO Smith made the motor, StaRite made the pump.

Replacing the motor is less expensive, but a sightly more complex install, as you surmised. Have you done PVC plumbing before? The first time dealing with this kind of plumbing also has a learning curve.

You can add chlorine without a pump if your pour slowly around the edge of the pool and then brush the whole pool. That is a little bit of a physical workout, but should get you through about a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.