Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My Pentair Mastertemp 400 is OVERHEATING the hot tub...

1. Back To Top    #1

My Pentair Mastertemp 400 is OVERHEATING the hot tub...

I'm having a problem with my hot tub heater. It's the exact opposite of what most people have (heater not working)- it is actually working TOO well. Let me explain.

About a month ago, my son was complaining that the hot tub was overly hot. When I checked it, it felt pretty hot to me too. So I put the pool thermometer in it. To my surprise, it read 118 degrees! I got another thermometer to double-check the reading, and got 117 degrees. After doing some research, I determined I should probably call a technician to handle this problem. The technician came out, looked things over, and told me it was either the High Limit Switch, or the Thermistor. He pointed out both switches (I already knew where they were from looking at the parts schematic), and explained how they could be changed. He said I could do it myself if I was handy, or I could pay him $150 to come back and take care of this 10 minute job. I opted to do it myself.

So I ordered the parts and changed them out. The result? I am having the same problem. When I set the heater temp to 100 degrees, the burner turns on and it heats up the water until it reads 100 degrees, as requested on the display. The problem is, what the heater thinks is 100 degrees is actually around 115. I double-checked this by turning the requested temp down to 85 degrees and running the heater. The result is water that is actually 100 degrees, although I am requesting 85 degrees. The system works as advertised, except for the fact that its temperature calibration is off by 15 degrees.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? I've already changed out the thermistor probe, which seems like the most likely culprit in this situation. My next step is probably changing out the control board. I don't want to do that if I don't have to, as it is a $400 part. Thank you in advance for any advice/solutions you can offer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My Pentair Mastertemp 400 is OVERHEATING the hot tub...

Hi welcome to TFP! Is your heater controlled by an automation system?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Check for a short in the wiring between the Thermistor and the circuit board.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If you do not have automation controlling the unit, the control board is your likely culprit.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Update to my situation. I called the pool builder, who confirmed what ps0303 said- it's probably the control board. Just to be sure, I checked the resistance on the thermistor and the wiring between that and the control board, both of which were good. I had the pool guy order the control board, changed it out, and my heater is working correctly again.

Thanks to all who posted. I appreciate your help with this!