Pump Suggestions Please - Replacing A Sta-Rite Dyna-Glas 1HP

Jul 12, 2012
After help on this forum and a lot of investigation, I have determined that we need to replace our pump and we can have a variable speed pump.

The current set-up is pretty basic:

• 1 HP Sta-Rite Dyna-Glass Main Pump (MPRA6E-147L) which has 2" piping (at least that is what the pump manual says)
  • 3/4 HP Booster Pump for Polaris 280 cleaner (which is also beginning to have its own running issues)
  • Goldline Chlorine Generator
  • ~30,000 gallon pool
  • Heater
  • Breaker Panel with 220 split into two 110 lines and capable of handling a 1 phase power setup needed for a vs pump.
  • Slide - which requires some of the regular returns to be closed to create enough pressure

20140526_092811 (Copy).jpg
20140526_092834 (Copy).jpg

There are no timers or automation. The set-up is about 12 years old and is active from June - September. Because we didn't know any better, the main pump was on 24/7.

I like the idea that we can save quite a bit of money replacing the pump with a two speed or variable speed pump. Since we don't have any automation, the variable speed with on-board programming seems attractive, even though it has a higher initial price. The downside I have read about the cheaper VS pumps, is that their programming is basic (count-down timer instead of based on clock, no ability to turn pump off and on automatically, etc....). The more expensive VS pumps (~$850 Intelliflo VS) seem to have a much higher horsepower, but offer the better automation (programming via a clock, possibly the ability to control power on and off times, etc....). I don't know if the higher horsepower will offset a lot of the energy savings the replacement is supposed to give us. I know that the Intelliflo's 3 horsepower is overkill, but if it doesn't kill the energy savings, it might be worth it.

I would appreciate people's insights and comments. It is possible that my observations and assumptions are wrong, so any corrections would also be beneficial. I am looking to order this week, so I can get the pool opened for the year.

Thank you very much for your time and insight. I am not very "techie" when it comes to pools (computers on the other hand..., hehehehe), so I value other's advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.