Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clearing Turquoise-Blue Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Clearing Turquoise-Blue Water

Have recently been through the process of shocking my pool to clear a fairly sizable algae bloom. The water has mostly cleared, clearly leaving dead algae in the pool. The water looks fairly blue, but still has a tinge of turquoise to it and is slightly cloudy, most noticeable in the deep end (you can see the main drain, but the water still doesn't look perfect).

The FC level has been holding approx. 22 - 24 ppm over night for several days consecutively now without dropping. I've been back-washing once daily to clear out some of the gunk being filtered from the pool.

My filter has been running 24 hours daily for roughly 6 days during which I've been shocking the pool (holding FC levels as previously mentioned for last 3 days); however, since the pool has yet to be cleared, I'm wondering if I am having a filtration issue? Or if perhaps there was just that much algae in the pool that it is taking several days to clear? I will say it has gotten slightly better each day.

Current levels are as follows:

FC: 22
    CYA: 50 - 60
    pH: 7.2
    TA: Approx 70 (low, I know, but pH is holding ok)
    Salinity: Approx. 3400

Any thoughts here? Thanks.
    30,000 gallon in-ground vinyl liner
    Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Hp pump, SWG (brand TBD)
    Complete renovation summer 2013
    Marlboro, New Jersey

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clearing Turquoise-Blue Water

Sand filters can take a week, occasionally two, to fully clear the water. You should see some visible improvement from day to day, even if small. If you don't see any improvement day to day then something is going wrong. As you near the end, it is best to not backwash until the pressure goes up. Slightly dirty sand filters are better at catching the finest debris.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Any chance you're suffering from some copper-based algaecide like this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...eed-to-use-POP
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you pull from the main drain only for awhile to get the dead algea out of the deep end?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Sand filters can take a week, occasionally two, to fully clear the water. You should see some visible improvement from day to day, even if small. If you don't see any improvement day to day then something is going wrong. As you near the end, it is best to not backwash until the pressure goes up. Slightly dirty sand filters are better at catching the finest debris.
    I think I'm in the same boat. This coming Saturday will make 2 weeks. I don't remember it taking this long to clear my pool.
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280