Skimmer cracked, now what?

Marcer

May 24, 2011
GTA, Ontario
So... Inground pool skimmer, poured into the concrete pool surround. There's a crack along the bottom, roughly 2-3 inches, coming out from the edge of the pump outlet. The previous owner appears to have attempted some type of repair (white hardened "goop" around the crack, but it's still leaking). This is of course is allowing water to leak out of the pool, and appears to be allowing the water to get behind the liner. Is this fixable (maybe the previous owner used the wrong product) or is my only option to get it replaced? (I'm seeing big dollar signs to break the concrete, replace, and re-pour)

You kinda handy?
There's a product by Hayward,
http://www.paspdirect.com/eztest/product.html?id=1510
#4 Schmear pellets.
You mix it with M.E.K. google and do a lot of research before you attempt this repair. You'll have to drain down below the skimmers and remove all water from the cracked skimmer. 24 cure time.

I'd give this a shot before you dig up your deck, etc...

Ok,

I've looked into this, not sure it's going to work:

2 concerns:

1. I can't empty the skimmer (I'll explain below)
2. There is a lot more damage than I thought (See Pics)

So the reason why I can't empty it, is water is refilling into the skimmer from around the pool... the water seeped through the crack last season and got behind the liner, and now I have 2" of standing water every time I empty it out.

Thoughts? (Pics below the red outlines the previous repair)

Attachments

• Skim-1.jpg
    Skim-1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Skim-2.jpg
    Skim-2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 165
So the reason why I can't empty it, is water is refilling into the skimmer from around the pool... the water seeped through the crack last season and got behind the liner, and now I have 2" of standing water every time I empty it out.
Don't you want to get rid of all that water before repairing the crack? If you keep removing it, eventually, it won't refill the skimmer. Also make sure the pool level is well below the crack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.