New here, just opened.

May 19, 2014
pennsylvania
Been a pool owner for 6 years, finally tired of getting ripped by the pool store and pool still looking awful. I'm done with them. Just opened and got things running last week, after a minor plumbing fix. I've used about 6 lbs of left over bioguard shock so far and have tabs in the chlorinator. Pool very green but getting a little better. Finally got my test kit and have some numbers.

I get a lot of new water over winter via rain and snow due to my mesh cover

FC 2
CC 2.5
TA 70
PH 8.2
CYA < less than 20, basically added all the liquid and no change to visibility of dot.

I'm constantly cleaning the cartridges once a day because of all the mess. Thanks for any tips

393F1B9D-59B0-4FA4-8F6D-4D0A8F305A79_zpsoyzr3idc.jpg

Do not wait to SLAM. You have a VERY major algae bloom in your pool and it will only get worse if you delay.

Put the CYA in a sock and then put the sock in the skimmer basket. Now you can clean/backwash as much as you want.

Instead of adding cya can I just use up the rest of my bioguard "shock" while slamming this giving me chlorine and raising my cya levels?
If you feel comfortable juggling three parameters, sure. If you already own the stuff, there's no extra expense. Look at the bottom Poolmath where it says Effects of Adding Chemicals and you can see what each bag of "shock" will do. Then don't overdo it.

thanks. I just took a sample to the pool store over lunch break just to see if their results matched mine. They had a CYA of 0 as well. They tried to sell me over $250 worth of stuff, imagine that. I had bought algecide 3 weeks ago that I wanted to return, so I just swapped it out for some bio guard stabilizer 6 lbs for 31.99, but had already spent that on their special algecide so swapped it straight up.

Should I still use the sock in skimmer method to add the CYA "stabilizer"? How many lbs would you think?

When I get home i'm going to add CYA and more liquid chlorine.

is $16 for 5 gallons of 12.5 liquid chlorine high?

thanks. I just took a sample to the pool store over lunch break just to see if their results matched mine. They had a CYA of 0 as well. They tried to sell me over $250 worth of stuff, imagine that. I had bought algecide 3 weeks ago that I wanted to return, so I just swapped it out for some bio guard stabilizer 6 lbs for 31.99, but had already spent that on their special algecide so swapped it straight up.

Should I still use the sock in skimmer method to add the CYA "stabilizer"? How many lbs would you think?

When I get home i'm going to add CYA and more liquid chlorine.

is $16 for 5 gallons of 12.5 liquid chlorine high?
Yes to the sock, no to the price.

Poolmath says to go from zero to 30 CYA in 24000 gallons takes 6 lbs of granules. It might not all fit in one sock and probably won't all fit in the skimmer, so you may need to rig up something like this.

attachment.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
an additionaly question on testing FC with my test kit. As im dropping in the drops to turn the pink water clear again. Is the number of drops the very first one that turns the water clear (but quickly turns back pink) or the one where the water stays clear for a minute or two?

- - - Updated - - -

ok thanks, i'll try a sock in the skimmer and one over a return

Yep. Use the sock method and either put it in the skimmer or for even faster dissolving, hang it in front of a return using a sock/stocking, section of rope and a weight. Either way, squeeze the sock every chance you get to help it circulate.

That's a decent price for 12.5% chlorine, as long as it's pretty fresh. $0.20 per ounce of hypochlorite. (You can calculate cost per ounce by taking price/ounces/% chlorine*100) Usually you can check the date codes printed on the bottle. Sometimes hard to decipher.

Keep it up! This is where I was 15 days ago, I swam yesterday in clear water! SLAM and don't stop! Brush and vacuum until you have clear water ... it works!!!!
Pool is turning slightly blue now vs the green and already slightly clearing up. Added 6lbs of stabilizer 100 and it dissolved rather fast in the socks. Going to run my tests for chlorine here soon and probably add some more

So got the stabilizer in last night, should have a CYA around 30 now. My FC had dropped to 0.5 from the mornings dose, so I put 3 gallons of 10% in last night around 7PM. This morning at 7AM was holding FC of 11 so I added a gallon before heading into work. Can almost see the bottom in the deep end now. After work i'll retest and try to vacuum out the rest of the debris on the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.