Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What am I doing wrong with my vaccum technique?

1. Back To Top    #1

What am I doing wrong with my vaccum technique?

Hello All,

I just went through the process of pressure washing the concrete around my pool and noticed I got some of the crud in the pool. I set my sand filter to waste and sloooowly vacuumed the crud out trying my hardest not to stir anything up. I just went outside (4 hours later) and still see all the crud back on the bottom of the pool floor. Did I do something wrong? My vaccum suction was fine...

Thanks in advance!
    Bonnie
    Outdoor Vinyl IG 16'x32' 15,000 Gallon
    Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward S-244T Sand Filter 62 GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What am I doing wrong with my vaccum technique?

The two main possibilities are: the crud went right through the filter, probably because it is channeled or there was more stuff in the water than you initially noticed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I hate my vacuum. I have something similar to this. http://www.poolcenter.com/p/vinyl-li..._59wFl02vD_BwE I think that the biggest problem is that it has brushes surrounding the hole that the debris is sucked through. So when you brush forward you are pushing the debris away from brush. I removed one section of bristles and it helped a bit. But not enough to believe it is the solution. I also feared if I removed more I would end up having the vacuum head dragging on the bottom and possibly tearing the liner. I rarely use the vacuum and opt to brush the pool more frequently hoping the filter will pick up the debris. I understand that with a sand filter it might be different. On the rare occasion that I do use the vacuum I just accept the fact that one use will never do the job. So I leave it out and use it several times in a day until I am satisfied it is done all it can do.
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

4. Back To Top    #4

You always spot stuff you missed after you've coiled up the hose and put everything away. It's Murphy's Law.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

The brushes are supposed to stir anything they pass over. This frees up the debris to be easily sucked up. If you used a clear vacuum head, you can see the debris getting pulled out. The key for me was to go at a slow enough pace that I didn't stir up the debris with the water until the vacuum head passed over it. I don't know specifically for your model, but I can say for mine that the brushes are essential to leave enough gap between the vacuum head and the pool liner so it doesn't get sucked completely down flat and lock down.

24 ft Round Above Ground - 13500 gallons... Former Pool Frog user. Sand filter . Located just South of Atlanta

6. Back To Top    #6

So is it essential when vacuuming with a sand filter to set the valve on waste? I have not been doing this...

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by edgerton View Post
    So is it essential when vacuuming with a sand filter to set the valve on waste? I have not been doing this...
    If you have a carpet of sludge that will clog the filter immediately, waste is a good idea. If it's just the usual bits of dust, run the vacuum on filter mode.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by edgerton View Post
    No, most only filter to waste if you have large amounts of dirt and or debris on the bottom that you will be vacuuming up that you do not want to go thru your filtration system. If you do not vac to waste you may be backwashing more often.
    27' x 54" AG Morada RTR/19,300 gal/ 1hp-2spd Hayward Power-Flo Matrix/Hayward 256T sand filter