Pool safe to swim in?

Smeade

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2014
Ft. Wright, KY
At the risk of asking a stupid question...I'm new to TFP, my fancy test kit is on its way to me, so all I have is basic kit for now. I had a slight algae bloom, nothing too bad, so have been adding 10% chlorine and nothing else for now. As it stands, chlorine at 3 ppm, pH at 7.8. Water isn't too cloudy, looks pretty clear in shallow end (I can see all the way to the bottom in the deep end but it's cloudy). My son is chompin' at the bit to get in the water but I wanted to make sure it was safe. Thoughts?

Here's a picture if it helps.

With plaster redone in 2012 you got a fresh fill them. What have you been using since then? Your FC level may or may not be correct for the CYA level. However if you can see the bottom it is probably OK.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We had been using trichlor pucks, but between winterizing last fall and backwashing filter several times, I'd say that we have 25 to 30% fresh water. Started using pucks again this year (before finding TFP) but pool's only been running for two or three weeks. Water tested at pool store said CYA was 12, but I trust that as much as you do. It's getting ready to rain for the next three days, so I think I'll add more chlorine and tell everyone to be patient. By
Then my test kit should be here for some proper readings. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.