Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool safe to swim in?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool safe to swim in?

At the risk of asking a stupid question...I'm new to TFP, my fancy test kit is on its way to me, so all I have is basic kit for now. I had a slight algae bloom, nothing too bad, so have been adding 10% chlorine and nothing else for now. As it stands, chlorine at 3 ppm, pH at 7.8. Water isn't too cloudy, looks pretty clear in shallow end (I can see all the way to the bottom in the deep end but it's cloudy). My son is chompin' at the bit to get in the water but I wanted to make sure it was safe. Thoughts?

Here's a picture if it helps.

24K gallon IG gunite (built 1976), plaster (Diamond Brite) redone (poorly) 2012
    Hayward EC65A DE filter Taylor K2006-C test kit
    Ft. Wright, KY (Cincinnati area)

Don't argue. Just get the kit. TF100 or Taylor K2006C

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool safe to swim in?

With plaster redone in 2012 you got a fresh fill them. What have you been using since then? Your FC level may or may not be correct for the CYA level. However if you can see the bottom it is probably OK.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

Really depends what your CYA level is, to know if your FC level is acceptable.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Your FC is okay for now. Watch everyone closely with that murkiness but go swimming!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone for the replies. We had been using trichlor pucks, but between winterizing last fall and backwashing filter several times, I'd say that we have 25 to 30% fresh water. Started using pucks again this year (before finding TFP) but pool's only been running for two or three weeks. Water tested at pool store said CYA was 12, but I trust that as much as you do. It's getting ready to rain for the next three days, so I think I'll add more chlorine and tell everyone to be patient. By
    Then my test kit should be here for some proper readings. Thanks again!