Pump ? Not pool related

AimeeH

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 2, 2012
Columbia SC
I thought I'd put this out there (in the coffee bar of course) and ask since there are so many experts here.

Last week our well pump started tripping the breaker where the meter is. Seemed to be random and not while water was running. Called electrician Friday but before holiday weekend got no response.

This last time it tripped the breaker (about 40 mins ago) the breaker wouldn't stay on.....kept tripping right back off. I suggested turning on the hoses and flipping it back. I'm simple minded so I thought let the pump do what it is trying to do (pump water) and it wouldn't trip it. So far it seems to be working. I made sure to open every possible faucet and run the washer. And so far it hasn't tripped it again. It is happening about 4 times a day. Not usually when water is running.

Any suggestions on what a cause might be? Electrical? Or a pump issue?

We really just are clueless.

Yes on the bladder tank. I had googled previously and came up with a pressure switch needing to be replaced. Now let's see if we can open up pump house and identify what part that may be.

Sounds like a breaker getting weak. Your pump will pull anywhere from 5-10 times the amps on start up (called in-rush). Opening the faucets reduce this slightly. A breaker will take this excess load for a second or two before tripping (say 100 amps on a 20 amp breaker for 1 second). I'd change the breaker before I started looking elsewhere. Another thing most folks don't realise is that a pump will pull the most amps at max flow and the least amps when there is no flow (ie the discharge valve shut).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.