Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt returning

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirt returning

For the past summer and now this spring, we have been getting dirt on our pool floor after vacuuming. Last year we found a pipe underground that was broke. Replaced that. Our mutiport valve was bad and replaced that this spring. Upon opening this spring, our pump was cracked in a few places so we replaced that with a new 1 hp Hayward Super pump. We recently put in new sand and on opening up the filter, we found no laterals that were cracked so added new sand and added some DE. After vacuuming and backwashing we see the the dirt return at the bottom of the pool. We have tried skimmer socks on the returns and do see the dirt in them. I am running out of ideas on how the dirt is coming back through the returns and settling on the bottom. What else could be wrong with my filter? Here is a picture of my filter......GetAttachment.jpg
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Dirt returning

Welcome to the forum. This is a common problem. It is not uncommon for the problem not to be dirt, but dead algae.

Can you pick up the dirt and roll it between your thumb and finger? It should be gritty. If it poofs up and blows away when you try to pick it up, there is a good chance it is dead algae and you need to SLAM your pool.

Can you post a complete set of test results and tell us what your water looks like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I do not have the good test kit yet. But my water is crystal clear except for the brown looking spots along the seams and creases of our pool. Those spots do pouf up when we brush them though. We have been fighting this since last year. Other than that, the water looks crystal clear. I think we will try the SLAM process and see if that helps along with a good test kit.
    THank you so much for your help.
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

If they look like underwater dustbunnies, that's dead algae clumping up. Kill it!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

This is not the best picture, but this is what it looks like.....GetAttachment (1).jpg
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

My brownish color would form a brown cloud when brushed (plouf??) It was probably dead algae! That was last year.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter