Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlevel Pool - Will it Survive the Summer

1. Back To Top    #1

Unlevel Pool - Will it Survive the Summer

Welcome to TFP! I started a new Thread for your post. Please start a new Thread whenever you have a question or new topic as opposed to posting your question on someone else's Thread (we call that practice "hijacking"). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --BoDarville, TFP Moderator

Hi Sorry to infringe on this forum...i seem to be clueless as to how to start NEW posts! Anyhow.....as pertaining to uneven pools....I was wondering...based on my my pic....Will my above ground pool be ok and survive the summer??my pool.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unlevel Pool - Will it Survive the Summer

bandi:

Your not infringing at all...that's why we're here.

I must confess that I'm not an above-ground pool expert, but I do know that the ground that an AG pool sits on needs to be extremely level - not varying by more than about 1/2 inch in from end-to-end any direction. Based on your pic, I'm inclined to say that there is a high risk that your pool will not survive the summer. Someone else who is more versed in AG pools should be along shortly that can provide more information on this situation.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

If it is only a few adults floating around, it will probably be OK for this season.

If there are rowdy kids jumping and splashing around, it may not.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

my 2 cents worth, I am a newbie here also, before I found this sight I was putting up and taking down my 14' x 48" intex every year, we would try to level as best we could and to make the long story short is it looke like your when we were done, we called it close enough. Yes to answer one of your questions it will stay up and yes it is out of level, people on here will disagree with me but it will stay, I have four grandchildren their parents me ans nana playing and jumping all was good. but this year we took it to the permanent level, level box, oam pad, gorilla pad new patio and will hard plumb the filter. good luck, have fun!!!!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with POPPA it will make it. It is recommended to level it but I also for the past 7 years put up a 16x48 and I had poles sink about 2" in the mud. It was uneven a lot never really worried about being level until this year for 20x54. We have 3 boys ages 9 to 17 and a girl they het rowdy.

20'x54" intex ultra Sand filter. with SWG Still work in progress will have Resin 24" fence around the top. Hooked to a 10x6 Deck that is attached to another 10'x6' Kids Club house. Slide from main deck into pool. Intex softwall lights. Kenwood Marine radio sealed in a deck box all Bluetooth controlled with Pyle 5" outdoor speakers.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

My 14x42 Intex Ultra was about 3" high on one side, and it lasted 3 years until the top rails rusted through.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

No expert here either but from looking at the picture and using the vertical fence pieces as reference I would empty it. It looks unlevel and the uprights are leaning off vertical pretty bad. I wouldn't want to spend the whole season wondering when....just my opinion.
    Intex 18x48/2650 Sand/56601E SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Lol... It kind of looks like your pool has had too much to drink..... Go home pool, you're drunk....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Dtmos01 View Post
    No expert here either but from looking at the picture and using the vertical fence pieces as reference I would empty it. It looks unlevel and the uprights are leaning off vertical pretty bad. I wouldn't want to spend the whole season wondering when....just my opinion.
    I would 100% agree. Anything under an inch is within industry standards. Anything over and you run the risk of a collapse. Are you willing to put anyone who uses the pool at risk?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

For all the folks who have posted up about their pool "surviving" such and such...........there were survivors from the TITANIC too. But it went down.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yep no doubt I would redo that !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

the way i see it, you have two options. either drain the pool and level the land or purchase a ladder with less gravitational pull.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yikes.. that's a nasty slant! I would drain it for sure and rent a self leveling laser and buy some 3/4 crush gravel. Sheets of foam and your good to go.
    41x25x18 Humpback Haven
    Graduated from 16ft Intex

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I would definitely fix it. The sooner, the better. The pools cost too much to only get one year out of it.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Never mind the cost... you can't replace a human or body parts.

16. Back To Top    #16

If I'm paying a professional to do my pool, I would be ok with LESS than 1" but I could have OP install my pool and expect it to look like the original pic and have a huge problem and be very concerned with the structural integrity of the pool (mine and theirs). It is industry standard to keep the pool under 1" out of level whether it's visually pleasing AND structurally safe. It should be adhered to IMPO. You do not have to agree but Industry certainly takes it into account and the helpful members here at TFP do not want to see someone get hurt by letting a pool with an obvious slant go and hurt someone, anyone.

17. Back To Top    #17

Lets say we have a birthday party for a 13 year old boy who's got a few over grown friends. And we have 4 of them in the pool and 2 of them are 6ft tall and 180lbs (not unheard of in America). They start rough housing and pushing each other towards the left side pictured of the pool and one hits the side of the pool with his body weight. I have had over grown teenagers as big as men in my pool being chaotic. I could see a kid this size going over the top and side of the pool and crimping the legs on an already slanted frame!

This pool needs taken down and releveled. The OP wondered enough if it should be redone based on seeking the forum out and asking because it is leaning way to much. I'm bagging the, *It looks terrible!* and going with *It could collapse!*. Why risk it? Why?

18. Back To Top    #18

Hello everyone Thank you for your responses and thank you so much for 'starting a new topic'! I definitely needed the advice. I am saddened by the slope in my pool. I was not aware of the work involved in levelling and thought I had done a good job. :/ unfortunately the pool will have to be drained because I know that it seems to be ok for now but I am frightened that it may become even lower on the one side. We have played in it a few times with no problems and just fun but still...I am frustrated because i would like to refill the pool but am hesitant because of the price of water. anyhow thanks again for your advice and support!

19. Back To Top    #19

Check your actual cost of water. You would have to have very expensive water for that to cost more than $50 to refill.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Here is WI the cost to fill my 18x48 pool is roughly $30....call your local water utility and ask them, might not be as bad as you think.
    Intex 18x48/2650 Sand/56601E SWG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast