Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Home, First Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Home, First Pool

Purchasing a home in Southern, NH within next 30 days with a 25k gal IG pool. We have a large family and would like to make the switch to a SWG from chemicals.

Hoping someone in this area, active on the boards, would be willing to come out, look at all the gear and teach me the right way to do things!

I lieu of that, where should I start?

2. Back To Top    #2

8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Home, First Pool

Please feel free to ask any questions you have about the pool and equipment.
    If you can post pics it will be much better to give any advice about the equipment.

Also, please study pool school and make yourself aquainted with the name of stuff and the minimul chemicals we recommend and how each one works.
    You will be light years ahead if the game also if you get one of the recommended test kits and have it ready the day the keys are handed to you.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!!

I will get some pics next time we are up there, hopefully this week!

In the mean time I will do loads of reading.

Anyone local who can school me on proper maintenance/operation?

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry this took so long, here is what we have for equipment.

Moving in by July 4th, hoping to learn what I can in the next few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

More picturesAttachment 30142

- - - Updated - - -

I have a couple more pictures but it wont let me upload more, says I have reached my 250k max?
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you have a test kit? See here: Test Kit Comparison. I'd recommend the TF 100.

Every piece of advice you'll get here is based on your test results. Not bad results from a pool store.

Even if you go with a SWG, you still need to test your pool regularly and you still need chemicals.

I'd order the kit now if you can confidently keep track of it til you move. But maybe better off ordering it right before you move in. Test your pool water, test the water you may have to fill it with and post the results here. That's the only way the experts here can help.

Read lots of Pool School before you move in. It might not make sense but read as much as you can handle and it will make lots of sense once you start having to do it.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Also. Attaching pictures is not recommended. It's best you create or use an account on a photo sharing website like photobucket.com

There is a tutorial on how to link to pictures using a photo hosting site here Posting Photos Tutorial

Or if you take pictures using a smart phone, you can download the Tapatalk app and access the forum through there. It's easy to attach pictures from that app to your posts.
    Last edited by JVTrain; 06-02-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Grammar time!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

What should I know about SWG vs chemicals? Wasn't aware I would still need chemicals along with SWG. I want the most "natural" setup I can get. We have a large YOUNG family and hate chemicals on their skin and clothing.

Here are pics of all the equipment

9. Back To Top    #9

First pool, need to be shown the ropes

We are finally signing papers this Friday!!!

Having never owned a pool before I was hoping a member here could show us, or recommend a company to come out and show us, how to run the pool. Property is in Windham, NH.

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: First pool, need to be shown the ropes

Welcome to the Forum.

I suggest you should start reading Pool School ( button on upper right of this page), to get an understanding of pool chemistry:
    What is TFPC?
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Basic Pool Care Schedule
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    Recommended Levels
    PoolMath

Do not hesitate to ask questions, there are a lot of very experienced people here that can help with just about any problem you have.

By the way, they like to see pool pictures, especially the green one's. ( sick puppies ) Just kidding.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

11. Back To Top    #11

First pool, need to be shown the ropes

Welcome to TFP !
    One of the best investments you can make for your pool would be getting yourself one of these Test Kits.
    Good luck with your build and do post pictures of it ! 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Bumping this thread in hopes of some info.

We are closing Friday, a d have decided to not get a swg this year.

Will pick up the tf100 test kit as recommended.

What else should I grab right away?

13. Back To Top    #13

Other than the test kit, the only things I can think of is some liquid chlorine (bleach) and maybe muriatic acid.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

14. Back To Top    #14

Please fill in your signature as outlined here as it will best help us, help you!

What we need to know to answer your questions

Read these too:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Welcome. You've received good advice.

Pool School is where it's at.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

My first pool.... Rookie mistake.

Moved in today, never owned a pool before. Last owners were shall we say, less than helpful. Saw some debris in the basket near the pump, decided to shut the pump off and clean the basket. Had pine needles and flowers in it.

I also thought it would be a great idea to put the lever to backwash with the pump off just to see what would happen.....

I now have no moving water in my pump.

How do I fix?
    25k Gallon IG, Vinyl liner, In Floor Cleaning System, Jacuzzi Earthworks DE 75 filter, Hayward H Series Propane Heater, TF-100 Test-Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Done and done!

Thx guys!
    25k Gallon IG, Vinyl liner, In Floor Cleaning System, Jacuzzi Earthworks DE 75 filter, Hayward H Series Propane Heater, TF-100 Test-Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Bought the tf100 kit, comes Monday or Tuesday.

How the heck do I vacuum this thing? Never owned a pool before.

19. Back To Top    #19

Hoping to get some help on getting this filter back up and running, and learn how to run the vacuum to get the dust off the bottom of the pool.

20. Back To Top    #20

What kind of vac do you have ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast