Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Day

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Day

Hello,

I am from NJ and have a Morada RTR Supreme Oval - 15' x 30' x 54" with a Pentair Clean & Clear 150 sq' Cartridge Filter w/ 1 - 1/2 HP.

I tested with K-2006 and here are the results on opening day:

FC - .6 ppm
    CC - 0
    ph - 7.4
    TA - 100 ppm
    CYA - <30
    CH- 100

Any advise on how to proceed would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Day

Welcome!

Did the CYA test get cloudy at all? And what does the water look like? Clear? Cloudy? Green?

The reason I ask is because this year we've had a lot of cases of CYA breaking down over winter into ammonia. My advice is to add bleach to get to 10 FC and let it mix half an hour (including brushing), and then repeat the FC & CC tests. If CC has gone way up, you have ammonia. The cure for it is lots and lots and lots of bleach. If, on the other hand, FC is down a little and CC isn't too high, it's probably not ammonia, and so you just need to add some CYA and adjust the FC. No matter what, if it's green, you need a SLAM. Post results after you dose it with bleach and someone will be along to guide you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, the CYA was cloudy and looked close to 30.

The water looks clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

In that case....jack the FC up and check FC & CC half an hour afterwards. Post results.

Tip: use 10 ml sample and each drop counts as .5 FC. Saves R-0871 reagent!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the tip!

After 1/2 hour:

FC - 3.5
    CC - .5

6. Back To Top    #6

I think you are looking good.
    check you PH and make any adjustment to that you might want to do.
    Just before dark, I would say maybe check your FC again and if necessary bring it to the recommended level. Check your CC again too.

Early in the morning, check FC again and its still where it was before dark, then you should be good to go! If so bring your CYA to your recommended level.

looks good so far!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Will do.

Thanks for all the help!