Vinyl Liner Staining...Year Two

Oct 6, 2013
Hello all...last season I began using TFP as a resource with a Taylor test kit. After two previous years of inconsistent pool maintenance, I have what appears to be iron staining on a 30K vinyl liner. The stains came in last year, but I never dealt with them (I am a pool slacker). I have dropped my FC to 0 and pH to about 7.3 along with a Polyquat treatment. I started AA treatment about an hour ago. First 2.2 # container in the pool-stains lifted well in certain areas, but there is a large amount of staining throughout the pool. It seems like where there was good contact, the stain lifted, so I moved my jets around (no bottom main drain) to force contact with the stained areas with limited results. I added a second container of AA after about 30 minutes, again with limited results. Currently still circulating the water, but now I am out of product. I didn't think I would use more than 5# for 30K gal, but here I am. Unsure if I should go ahead with the sequestering agent or try to get more AA asap. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hello all...last season I began using TFP as a resource with a Taylor test kit. After two previous years of inconsistent pool maintenance, I have what appears to be iron staining on a 30K vinyl liner. The stains came in last year, but I never dealt with them (I am a pool slacker). I have dropped my FC to 0 and pH to about 7.3 along with a Polyquat treatment. I started AA treatment about an hour ago. First 2.2 # container in the pool-stains lifted well in certain areas, but there is a large amount of staining throughout the pool. It seems like where there was good contact, the stain lifted, so I moved my jets around (no bottom main drain) to force contact with the stained areas with limited results. I added a second container of AA after about 30 minutes, again with limited results. Currently still circulating the water, but now I am out of product. I didn't think I would use more than 5# for 30K gal, but here I am. Unsure if I should go ahead with the sequestering agent or try to get more AA asap. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Went ahead and added sequestrant at label rates about two hours after 5 # AA. Stains are noticeably lighter, but still present. Gonna assume I need to order more AA, will I need to reapply sequestrant at same rate after more AA? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Joshaw
Unfortunately, I dont have any experience with the AA treatment. Wish I could help more.

Just wanted to mention though that absorbic acid is an acid, and acidds can really drop the Ph. Since you've put in 5 lbs of it, I would recommend you check that pH and bring it up some if its below 7 ish.

Hopefully someone else wil chime in with some help about the AA ...

Hi Joshaw
Unfortunately, I dont have any experience with the AA treatment. Wish I could help more.

Just wanted to mention though that absorbic acid is an acid, and acidds can really drop the Ph. Since you've put in 5 lbs of it, I would recommend you check that pH and bring it up some if its below 7 ish.

Hopefully someone else wil chime in with some help about the AA ...

Thanks-I will have to wait for a delivery anyway, so I will rebalance pH and TA as necessary. A little unsure of how to handle sanitation if the process drags on too long.... I just treated with the polyquat yesterday, so I figure I am ok for at least a week or so...the saga continues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.