Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl Liner Staining...Year Two

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl Liner Staining...Year Two

Hello all...last season I began using TFP as a resource with a Taylor test kit. After two previous years of inconsistent pool maintenance, I have what appears to be iron staining on a 30K vinyl liner. The stains came in last year, but I never dealt with them (I am a pool slacker). I have dropped my FC to 0 and pH to about 7.3 along with a Polyquat treatment. I started AA treatment about an hour ago. First 2.2 # container in the pool-stains lifted well in certain areas, but there is a large amount of staining throughout the pool. It seems like where there was good contact, the stain lifted, so I moved my jets around (no bottom main drain) to force contact with the stained areas with limited results. I added a second container of AA after about 30 minutes, again with limited results. Currently still circulating the water, but now I am out of product. I didn't think I would use more than 5# for 30K gal, but here I am. Unsure if I should go ahead with the sequestering agent or try to get more AA asap. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    South Carolina, in ground 30000 gal vinyl liner, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl Liner Staining...Year Two

Quote Originally Posted by Joshsaw View Post
    Hello all...last season I began using TFP as a resource with a Taylor test kit. After two previous years of inconsistent pool maintenance, I have what appears to be iron staining on a 30K vinyl liner. The stains came in last year, but I never dealt with them (I am a pool slacker). I have dropped my FC to 0 and pH to about 7.3 along with a Polyquat treatment. I started AA treatment about an hour ago. First 2.2 # container in the pool-stains lifted well in certain areas, but there is a large amount of staining throughout the pool. It seems like where there was good contact, the stain lifted, so I moved my jets around (no bottom main drain) to force contact with the stained areas with limited results. I added a second container of AA after about 30 minutes, again with limited results. Currently still circulating the water, but now I am out of product. I didn't think I would use more than 5# for 30K gal, but here I am. Unsure if I should go ahead with the sequestering agent or try to get more AA asap. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Went ahead and added sequestrant at label rates about two hours after 5 # AA. Stains are noticeably lighter, but still present. Gonna assume I need to order more AA, will I need to reapply sequestrant at same rate after more AA? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Joshaw
    Unfortunately, I dont have any experience with the AA treatment. Wish I could help more.

Just wanted to mention though that absorbic acid is an acid, and acidds can really drop the Ph. Since you've put in 5 lbs of it, I would recommend you check that pH and bring it up some if its below 7 ish.

Hopefully someone else wil chime in with some help about the AA ...
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Hi Joshaw
    Unfortunately, I dont have any experience with the AA treatment. Wish I could help more.

Just wanted to mention though that absorbic acid is an acid, and acidds can really drop the Ph. Since you've put in 5 lbs of it, I would recommend you check that pH and bring it up some if its below 7 ish.

Hopefully someone else wil chime in with some help about the AA ...
    Thanks-I will have to wait for a delivery anyway, so I will rebalance pH and TA as necessary. A little unsure of how to handle sanitation if the process drags on too long.... I just treated with the polyquat yesterday, so I figure I am ok for at least a week or so...the saga continues.