Suggestions for a pump and filter?

Chops

Jan 24, 2014
Hello,

I recently purchased a 21x41 Splash Superpool (above ground, Vinyl) - ~28,000 gallons.

We are going to be using the pool to swim a lot of dogs. It will have a ton of dog hair to deal with.

I am near Chicago weather-wise. We will not be heating the pool but may decide to do so in a year or two.

I like the idea of reducing my monthly cost with a 2 speed or VS pump.

Based off of all of the research I've been doing it looks like my best bet is going to be a cartridge filter and a 2-speed pump... am I right there?

If so, how do I size and choose which specific pump and filter? I'm guessing I'll be best served by a pump and filter intended for a larger pool because of the excessive filtering that we'll need to do - is that true?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

A 1.5 hp 2 speed would probably do you well. consider adding a second or third skimmer to your pool. I have dogs that love the pool too, and it seems to take forever to get the hair out with only one skimmer.

For your filter, get the biggest you can afford, either sand or cartridge. Especially in your case, you will need as much filtration as you can get. You might even try a pair of carts in parallel, with a 3 way valve to balance the flow between them.

You might want to consider using skimmer socks to help keep the dog hair out of your filter. I use the 1 gallon paint strainers from Lowes. They are reusable many times and are much better than panty hose. Only cost about $1 each. Search this site for more info. This is one of the many great tips I have learned from TFP and really helps on my pool when the oak and pecan tree blooms are really falling.

Thanks, guys!

Skimmer socks - done! A group of about 8 of us swim our 25+ dogs in a friend's pool - those socks grab a TON of hair - clean 'em before and after a swim and the filter has been doing a great job with the rest for a few years!

As far as 2-speed pumps go... Looking at both of the big guys - it seems that they spec. their VS and 2 speed pumps for inground pools only - is there a reason that matters? i.e. Hayward says that their Ecostar is for inground pools - I have to imagine they are totally suitable to above ground pools as well, no?

I'm not focusing on that pump - just happened to be looking at it. Can I use any of Pentair or Hayward's 2 speed pumps with my above ground pool?

Also, filter-wise - looking to make a pair happen if I can. What should I target as my smallest single size? Would I be better off with that size or a pair of slightly smaller filters?

Thanks again for the advise!

Pumps meant for in ground can be used on above ground. They are self priming. Above ground pump rely on flooded chamber to start up, so can't be used on in ground, unless you can place it well below the waterline.

So, I've been doing my shopping and think I'm going to pull the trigger on the following...

(1) Hayward SP15932S Power-Flo Matrix 1-1/2-Horsepower 2-Speed Above-Ground Pool Pump
(2) Hayward 150 SwimPro Filters

Any reason I shouldn't be looking at either of those?

Quick question on your (Charlie) suggestion of a pair of filters with a 3-way to balance them... just out of the pump to a 3-way and then manually balance the valve so that the gauges on the two filters match to "balance" them, correct?

Thanks for all of the help!

That pump should be a good choice. The 1HP version is likely sufficient as well.

I would not recommend the complexity of 2 filters. Why not just get a single larger one? Ideally I would suggest as big as you can afford, 400+sqft would be nice, although with you shorter season, you may not need to go that big.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.