On the right track?

May 24, 2014
Portland, OR
Hi all,

Dealing with an algae bloom and need some advice to confirm if we're following the TBFP method correctly. Cleaned out all debris that I could see and started to SLAM the pool on Friday after having a new filter installed (old one went belly up at the end of last season). My CYA appears to be 100 so I've been using massive amounts of liquid bleach 7% to SLAM. If I'm reading the different charts correctly I need to keep the FC at 39 or higher to kill all of the algae off. I've been doing that and the CC reading is coming out at 0. Pool hasn't improved color over the last 2 days although I've cleaned the filter twice since I was so dirty.

Questions:
Am I on the right track and need to keep exercising patience and keeping the SLAM going?
Or am I getting a bad CYA reading and need to partially drain the pool to get it progressing?

FC 39
CYA 100
CC 0

Thanks for the advice!

Welcome! :wave:

The scale on the CYA view tube stops at 100. And you'll note the graduations aren't equidstant. If the continued adding marks for higher CYA, they'd likely melt all together.

My guess is your CYA is well above 100. How to test it is in Extended Test Kit Directions, post 8, step 9.

Sadly, I see a partial drain in your future. As you've discovered, SLAMming at those levels uses massive quantities of bleach and test reagents (better order some R-0870 & R-0871 refills now) and when you're done, you'll still be stuck maintaining FC above the ability of the colormatching tester, which means you'll have to use the powder every single time. Also, pH readings get skewed and read falsely high when FC is above 10, so that will always be questionable at the FC levels you will have to maintain.

I was afraid you would say that. Thought I might get by with the SLAM to normal and then slowly lowering the CYA over the summer through the rain (Pacific NW) and evaporation. I'll start the drain today. I'm concerned about having the pool float so I thought I'd drain a few feet, refill and repeat until the CYA comes down to acceptable levels. Is that going to work or am I missing something on the draining procedure?

Thanks again!

I was afraid you would say that. Thought I might get by with the SLAM to normal and then slowing lower the CYA over the summer through the rain (Pacific NW) and evaporation. I'll start the drain today. I'm concerned about having the pool float so I thought I'd drain a few feet, refill and repeat until the CYA comes down to acceptable levels. Is that going to work or am I missing something on the draining procedure?

Thanks again!
Yes. You need to know how much to drain. Start with a CYA reading. How to test it is in Extended Test Kit Directions, post 8, step 9. 100+ could be 120, could be 200, could be 300. If you can replace enough water in one shot while still leaving a foot or so in the shallow end to prevent liner damage, do it all in one go. Less water wasted, less time wasted.

CYA doesn't hurt the lawn.

If you don't have a way to isolate the main drain to use your pool pump to do it, then the best bet is to go rent a sump pump for a day and be done with it.

Retested the CYA with the extended test instructions (Thanks Richard!) and it came out approx 160. No wonder my SLAM wasn't working - too low for that CYA. On a side note, I think the Home Depot employees might think I'm Dexter with the amount of bleach I was buying. Started the drain and refill (Thanks Zea3!) and I'll retest the CYA after each cycle to see where I'm at.

Appreciate all of your input and I'll post before and after pics once I'm done. Hopefully before next weekend!

Don't bother testing after each drain and refill. If you drain 25%, you will be around 120ppm, do it again and you will be around 90ppm, do it again and you will be around 65ppm.

So either do three 25% and retest or two 33% or 50% drains and retest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.