Losing return pressure after a couple of hours

pisstol27

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
I have about a 30,000 gallon pool with a Hayward Pump and DE Filter. The pump is 2.5HP and 230 Volts. This is my third year at my new house and this pool and I've noticed that the returns always lose pressure after about 4 hours of runtime. I don't notice any leaks around the pumping station. How do I know when it is time to purchase a pump? Is there anything I can spot check before settling on purchasing a new pump?

You mean to say the flow out the returns decreases?

What does the pressure gauge on the filter say?

It just sounds to me like the filter is getting dirty and needs backwashing and fresh DE. When you shut it off, whatever stuff is stuck to the grids from pressure slumps off and settles on the bottom. When you restart, the lighter stuff rises and recoats the filter and it starts accumulating again.

You mean to say the flow out the returns decreases?

What does the pressure gauge on the filter say?

It just sounds to me like the filter is getting dirty and needs backwashing and fresh DE. When you shut it off, whatever stuff is stuck to the grids from pressure slumps off and settles on the bottom. When you restart, the lighter stuff rises and recoats the filter and it starts accumulating again.

Yes, the flow of the return decreases. i just opened the pool today and i thoroughly cleaned the filter last fall after i closed and added fresh DE today. Do you think after the first three hours of the year it would get so dirty and stop? My pool was a bit swampy but this has been a problem since I had the pool but not as bad as today.

I am going to turn the pump back on so i will check the pressure.

Yes, the flow of the return decreases. i just opened the pool today and i thoroughly cleaned the filter last fall after i closed and added fresh DE today. Do you think after the first three hours of the year it would get so dirty and stop? My pool was a bit swampy but this has been a problem since I had the pool but not as bad as today.

I am going to turn the pump back on so i will check the pressure.
Absolutely. A sludgy pool will load up a DE filter in a hurry! It just shows how efficient that filter is.

OK, just got back from turning the pump back on and noticed no water was flowing back to the filter so i opened the pump basket and water level dropped and there was a sucking sound. i tried adding water (both with pump on and off) and once the pump is on the water just gets sucked down. There pressure gauge on the filter stays at zero.

OK, just got back from turning the pump back on and noticed no water was flowing back to the filter so i opened the pump basket and water level dropped and there was a sucking sound. i tried adding water (both with pump on and off) and once the pump is on the water just gets sucked down. There pressure gauge on the filter stays at zero.
You won't see any pressure - clean filter or dirty - if you empty the pump basket. the garden hose can't keep up with the demand from your pump. The gurgling when you opened the basket is normal.

Put everything back together and open the air bleed on top of the filter and then turn the pump on. It might take 30 seconds, but you should start hearing the pump change pitch and then air and eventually water will come out the bleed.
If it doesn't, then you have problems on the suction side as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.