Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time BBB opening

1. Back To Top    #1

First time BBB opening

Hi everybody,

This winter I had decided to go with the BBB method for my AG pool this year, and this is also the first year I've taken the cover off to a green water. I've done some reading of the other posts, and checked out the pages about algae control in the pool school, but my question for now (I'm sure many more will follow) would be is it worth it just to run the filter for 24 hours before I try and do anything? Or should I test the CYA level and get to slamming as soon as possible?

Any help or suggestions are apprieciated.

Thanks,
    phpbutcher

13,000 gal AG
    Cartridge filter
    1.5 HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time BBB opening

Welcome to TFP!

Run the pump for at least an hour to start. Then run a full set of tests and see what needs to be adjusted.

Assuming the water looks good, there is no need to shock/SLAM.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If the pool is green, filtering alone won't clear it.

But Jason's right. Circulate for an hour. and run a battery of tests. Then you'll know if a partial drain is called for or not, if the pH needs adjusting, whatever. You know where you want to go, but you have to figure out where you are before you can plan a course.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

There's no chance the waters going to look good as it's really green. I had to run a bunch of water out to replace some pieces on the inlet, but I'll fill it back up and run it for an hour and then do the tests. Then I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Thanks again.
    phpbutcher

13,000 gal AG
    Hayward Perflex EC50 DE Filter
    Hayward 1.5 HP Power-Flo Matrix Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm back!!...

So I've swapped out the parts that needed it and made the adjustments for PH the calculator told me to make. It also said I needed 188 oz. of 12.5% chlorine that I added to reach a 14 FC level to slam it. I checked the chlorine an hour after the application and my FC was at 2, so I added another 155 oz. of chlorine. Should I just continue this until I get it to FC = 14 or am I doing something wrong already?

Thanks
    phpbutcher

13,000 gal AG

6. Back To Top    #6

No, a sludgy green mess will suck up bleach almost as fast as you can pour it.

The more debris you can drag out manually, the better. That way the bleach will work on killing algae, not oxidizing leaves. And the more religious you are about maintaining FC and brushing, the faster it will go.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the fast reply Richard.

I'm afraid I took up my battle too late in the day and that I'll loose ground over night. I guess I'll chalk up what I've done so far to experience and vacuum tomorrow as soon as I get home from work, clean the filter, and start all over again.
    phpbutcher

13,000 gal AG

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by phpbutcher View Post
    Thanks for the fast reply Richard.

I'm afraid I took up my battle too late in the day and that I'll loose ground over night. I guess I'll chalk up what I've done so far to experience and vacuum tomorrow as soon as I get home from work, clean the filter, and start all over again.
    Don't neglect to dose the pool before you leave for work. You'll kill more without the sun stealing your FC, so don;t lose ground!

9. Back To Top    #9

I've been slamming the pool for about 3 days now with chlorine tests and additions being more frequent the last 2 days. The pool is a much nicer color and I can see the bottom again. I would just like to check and make sure I'm not doing anything wrong and that it's not unusual to have to slam it for so long. So far I've gone through almost 15 gallons of chlorine. When I tested it last night, my FC was at 16, and my CC at 1. When I tested again this morning, my FC was at 7 and my CC at 2. I know it's not surprising that the FC dropped that far, but is it unusual for the CC to go up at this point? I balanced the PH and Alkalinity before I started slamming, but I haven't checked either of them again because the slamming explanation page said they weren't reliable to test during slamming. Is there a point at which I should do this anyway or not until I have the chlorine under control.

Thanks again for all the help and fast responses!
    phpbutcher

13,000 gal AG

10. Back To Top    #10

First time BBB opening

Your doing fine. Don't worry about the PH or TA now. Your CC can rise and fall during a SLAM.
    It's going to take some time do get thru the process. Depending on how bad the pool was it can take a week 2 weeks or longer. Nobody can give ya a good answer on that. The main thing is to maintain the SLAM level as best you can, back wash, clean your filter as needed and brushing.
    Also your going to have to get POP, Pool Owner Patience. The pool didn't get to this stage in a couple of days it'll take some time to fix it. Stay with it. It'll come around. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by phpbutcher View Post
    I've been slamming the pool for about 3 days now with chlorine tests and additions being more frequent the last 2 days. The pool is a much nicer color and I can see the bottom again. I would just like to check and make sure I'm not doing anything wrong and that it's not unusual to have to slam it for so long. So far I've gone through almost 15 gallons of chlorine. When I tested it last night, my FC was at 16, and my CC at 1. When I tested again this morning, my FC was at 7 and my CC at 2. I know it's not surprising that the FC dropped that far, but is it unusual for the CC to go up at this point? I balanced the PH and Alkalinity before I started slamming, but I haven't checked either of them again because the slamming explanation page said they weren't reliable to test during slamming. Is there a point at which I should do this anyway or not until I have the chlorine under control.

Thanks again for all the help and fast responses!
    Sounds normal. Combined chlorine is sort of halfway used up bleach and sunlight will break it down. Since there was no sun overnight, the level went up. You're doing good.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi guys,

I just wanted to say thanks for the help and encouragement. I went through 20 gallons of chlorine but the pool looks great!! My overnight test didn't lose anything and my CC is at .5. Now on to regular maintenance... I know it said PH and Alkalinity tests can't be trusted while slamming, but at what point is it okay to go ahead and test those again?

Thanks again for everything.
    phpbutcher

13,000 gal AG

13. Back To Top    #13

When FC drifts down below 10 it's safe to test everything and start balancing.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks Richard.

Naturally I have yet another question. My FC =5, CC = .5, PH = 7.5 which all seem okay but my TA = 240. Given what I read in pool school I'm not sure if I should try and bring this down or not.
    phpbutcher

13,000 gal AG

15. Back To Top    #15

Do you have a CH level? Normally not important in AGPs, but if TA is really high, CH is really high, and pH gets really high, it could be a problem.

In general, the answer is no, you don't have to actively lower TA, you just need to keep pH in range and it will work itself out. Post back a CH reading, and we can help you decide what to do.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

16. Back To Top    #16

My CH = 260. I should probably mention that my CYA < 30. I will be heading to the store today to get some stabilizer.
    phpbutcher

13,000 gal AG