Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Encouragement for Newbies! Mesh cover off to swimming in 36 hours! Hang in there!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Encouragement for Newbies! Mesh cover off to swimming in 36 hours! Hang in there!!

Good morning!

I've been reading many of the posts from folks new to the TFPC and SLAMing for the first time. We found the site in 2007, and have been using our knowledge of the BBB method (that has now been fancied up with new acronyms--love it!) since then.

I am posting here as ENCOURAGEMENT! HANG IN THERE! Read pool school over and over until it begins to make sense. Ask questions! (always post your latest test results) Go ahead and buy the test kit--it will save you hundreds of dollars and your stomach lining.

Remember the "M" in slamming! Maintain that chlorine level until you are sure you have won the battle! If you have pea soup with floating sludge islands like we did 2 years ago, this may take several days.

This year we removed the cover from our pool after dinner on Friday night. We have a mesh cover which means there was quite a bit of gunk and many leaves in the water. The water was light green, with patches of algae just getting a toe hold. The walls and bottom were brown with dirt. There were several huge spiders with egg sacs swimming around.

But we knew what to do! We were NOT intimidated!

Here is a pix of DH jumping into the crystal clear, albeit COLD water Sunday afternoon!

Isn't this what it's all about! Hang in there!
    TF-100 Test Kit, 28,000 gallon IG , 3M quartz plaster '09, 48 sq ft DE filter, Heat Siphon SX5HP heat pump '09, Polaris 360 '10, Protect-A-Child safety fence

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Encouragement for Newbies! Mesh cover off to swimming in 36 hours! Hang in ther

That pictuires isn't showing!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Encouragement for Newbies! Mesh cover off to swimming in 36 hours! Hang in ther

I know!! Trying to figure it out, can you help? I have dropbox but not yahoo account...
    thanks
    TF-100 Test Kit, 28,000 gallon IG , 3M quartz plaster '09, 48 sq ft DE filter, Heat Siphon SX5HP heat pump '09, Polaris 360 '10, Protect-A-Child safety fence

4. Back To Top    #4

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Richard! Used Photobucket. Totally easy.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    Good morning!

I've been reading many of the posts from folks new to the TFPC and SLAMing for the first time. We found the site in 2007, and have been using our knowledge of the BBB method (that has now been fancied up with new acronyms--love it!) since then.

I am posting here as ENCOURAGEMENT! HANG IN THERE! Read pool school over and over until it begins to make sense. Ask questions! (always post your latest test results) Go ahead and buy the test kit--it will save you hundreds of dollars and your stomach lining.

Remember the "M" in slamming! Maintain that chlorine level until you are sure you have won the battle! If you have pea soup with floating sludge islands like we did 2 years ago, this may take several days.

This year we removed the cover from our pool after dinner on Friday night. We have a mesh cover which means there was quite a bit of gunk and many leaves in the water. The water was light green, with patches of algae just getting a toe hold. The walls and bottom were brown with dirt. There were several huge spiders with egg sacs swimming around.

But we knew what to do! We were NOT intimidated!

Here is a pix of DH jumping into the crystal clear, albeit COLD water Sunday afternoon!

Isn't this what it's all about! Hang in there!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Maria. Your pool deck looks very similar to mine. Except my deck doesn't look nearly as clean as yours. What or how to you keep it so clean?

That pool does look refreshing!
    14K Gallon IG Gunite Pool built in 2005, Century Centurion 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Sqft. Cartridge filter, MiniMax Pentair NT Heater, The Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2005 test kit with Taylor K-1515-A FAS-DPD Chlorine Test. SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi cottiellee! I have the pool deck power washed professionally by a service that knows what they are doing around the pool every other year or so. He uses 12% bleach because the concrete is so old and rough that black and green mold grow and NOTHING will get it out. In the off years I just use my little power washer to get rid of the dirt that collects under the cover...hope that helps.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Maria. I was thinking of power washing with bleach but was concerned that it might bleach out the color of the concrete. I think I will rent a power washer from Home Depot and give it a try.
    14K Gallon IG Gunite Pool built in 2005, Century Centurion 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Sqft. Cartridge filter, MiniMax Pentair NT Heater, The Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2005 test kit with Taylor K-1515-A FAS-DPD Chlorine Test. SpeedStir