Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy JHPU 2.0 Dual speed pump replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy JHPU 2.0 Dual speed pump replacement

I will be replacing my Jandy JHPU 2.0hp dual speed pump this week. This has really been a good pump been running 24/7 since 2008 and have had zero problems. I would like to buy the same pump but the JHPU is no longer avalible. Can someone give me some idea on what Jandy pump to go with? There are just two many choice and I'm not sure which one to go with.
    41K L shape Vinyl IG, 2.0hp Jandy stealth pump, 300lb sand filter, Autopilot Dig-220 SC-60 cell, Dolphin Oasis Z5.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy JHPU 2.0 Dual speed pump replacement

Welcome to tfp!

Have you considered just replacing the motor?

Any issues with the wet side?
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The flow has reduced to the point that I have to run the pump on high most of the time. So a complete pump replacement is in order. I really would like to stay with a Jandy pump since I have had good service out of the pump. I just a little confused on what pump to go with.
    41K L shape Vinyl IG, 2.0hp Jandy stealth pump, 300lb sand filter, Autopilot Dig-220 SC-60 cell, Dolphin Oasis Z5.

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you positive it's a pump issue? Sounds suspicious to me. Most pump replacements are due to catastrophic failure.

I think something else may me amiss.

What's the pressure on your filter?
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

5. Back To Top    #5

Now when I turn the pump on high it will run for a few min then shut off completely. The motor will be very hot. So it may just be the motor going bad.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like it. Is the motor noisy?

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like debris stuck in suction lines or impeller.

8. Back To Top    #8

No the motor is still quiet. Today the pump is running on low with no issues. But, when I try to run the pump on high is will stop running with the motor being really hot. So I guess the question now is to replace the motor or the pump. I have priced the motor at $300 plus and a new pump at $750.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm a fan of motor replacement.

You may want to rip the wet end apart to see if there is anything amiss.

If so you may just need a go kit to replace the seals (doesn't have to be right away, I would have it on hand and only use it if you find the proverbial smoking gun).

If it all looks good order the new motor and use the go kit when you install it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Jandy JHPU 2.0 Dual speed pump replacement

I think this would fit:
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Centu...230V/B2979.htm

If you pull the part number from the original motor we can help you verify.

Probably save you some $$ on electric as well, I think it's a more efficient 2 speed than the OEM motor.